Distant Road to Tech - Gear Advice for 2016 Goal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd clear Sidemount off the menu if I were you. Nothing wrong with it, I'd stick with BM for the progression. SM is de rigueur at the moment and while they are great instructors out there, there's also a lot jumping on the band wagon. Oddly a lot of them teach Tec40. This is no a sleight against my fellow PADI-ites, but let's be honest; try and take a PADI SM course 3 years ago.

So put backmount on the menu.

Look at a decent backplate... actually all backplates are decent. It's a lump of metal. AL/Steel, up to you ,depending on the environment you dive. Predominantly cold, then steel.
Same with tanks. Cold Water = Steel
Wing: 40lb is good enough for starters. Look at Frog, IST, et al. If you have the extra cash then Halcyon. But most wings will get the job done.
Regs: APEKS DSTs or DS4s will do the job. Or Scubapro somethings (I only dive APEKS, so I can't offer up SP brands, but it's an even split with techies) Yes some people use HOGs, Hollis etc etc, but some people enjoy tofu. It's personal taste ATEOTD, but APEKS and SP are the big hitters.
Fins: Scubapro Jets, Hollis F1s or Turtles. With Spring straps.
Gauge Timers: 2 Uwatec Depth timers will be all you really need. Some people like gas switching computers. Some people listen to Celine Dion. Again personal preference. I don't use computers, neither do any of the guys I dive with.
Drysuit: Can't help here. My Drysuit is a POS, it does the job and I'd like a better one. Simple as that. DUI, Santi, Ursuit there are so many brands out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom