Age of fins - do you count by years or by dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwoco

Registered
Reaction score
Since I'm on a 2nd hand gear-buying streak, I'd like to find out how other, more experienced divers count the age of their gear.
I.e. I have an cheap offer to pick up a pair of Avanti Quattro's that are about 10 years old but have only done 12 dives - are they considered relatively new, or relatively old?

I know that Jet Fins are pretty much immune to ageing, and I've heard good things about Quattro's that last over 15 years of heavy diving, but for a lightly used but old piece, would it be similar to picking up a piece that may have sat in a warehouse for years as well? Or does touching the water/being used kickstart some sort of ageing reaction.

The way I see it, the cheapest people to buy dive gear off aren't the ones who are active divers - they know the value of their gear. The ones who sell cheap, are those who bought gear to do their OW or AOW, then let their gear sit for some years and are now clearing their closets after figuring they aren't going to dive anymore - i.e. they just want to clear space, rather than fuel/recoup for an upgrade in equipment.

I understand that a lot of it has to do with how the equipment is kept/maintained, but apart from visually inspecting and trusting what the seller says, should I be on the skeptical side when estimating the remaining useful life?

fins are tough, it depends on what they've been exposed to. 12 dives with proper rinsing and stored in a cool dark place the rest of the time? No worries. Stored behind a fridge, wouldn't want them, ozone is bad on rubber. You'll get a feel for them when you see them and feel them, they should feel "good". Make sure you're paying less than half of retail, and you're good. Worst case they make decent pool fins.

Well, I'm getting them for way less than half of retail - 20 Singapore dollars or about US$16 - they retail for S$125-165 (US$98-128) over here. This is actually my 2nd pair of Avanti Quattro's at this price, but the girlfriend has been coveting my current pair (she's actually away this weekend, diving with them) and I can't bring myself to pay retail prices after getting such a good price previously. So it sounds like I should jump on this deal eh.

Anyway, on a similar note - does it matter if the foot pockets are caved/squashed in vertically near the opening? Based on the one, fuzzy picture I have, this new prospective pair have a serious case of that. My previous pair still had the plastic inserts keeping them in shape so that wasn't a problem.

I have lost count of both, why does it matter?

On the other hand, why purchase used mask, fins and other basic items? Are they really that expensive?

N

very little (none?) gear wears out due to useage other than rough abusive handling.

so unless the gear looks battered, the key is age. battered gear can happen in a few dives. i have seen 2 year old dive computers in worse shape than my 20 year old computer.

my fins are coming up on 30 years. and my mask, and my regs. all looked after. my bcd checked out after 25 years...

if they look beat, then walk away. if they look good and are under 15 years old, you are likely just fine....

I have a pair of rubber Deep Outdoors SixGills that are 7 years and 400+ dives old. They still look as though I bought them last month and work just as well. I plan to keep them till I retire from diving in 2 years time.

I briefly rise them in fresh water after each dive and more thoroughly when I get home. During their extended surface interval between dive trips, I keep them - along with all my other dive gear - in an unused but clean bathtub.

If gear works for you and is in good/safe condition, use it.......

I have found, since being in health care, that it is not the year of the car but the miles (wear and tear) on it. It also depends on where the gear was used. Caves, wrecks and salt take more toll on gear than easy and fresh water dives. Bend them and if you see any hair line cracks or dry rot...run away!

Back
Top Bottom