Canon G7 X - Thoughts???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it looks like a real winner! Same sensor as the Sony RX 100, but a more versatile lens, and of course it has the Canon name, and the user-friendliness and quality that usually goes along with that.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that this camera can quite conceivably dominate the underwater compact class for the next few years.

I have high hopes for the G7x. I like my S95 and want to stay compact and use the internal strobe. The RX series lack of a reasonably priced housing has kept me from buying it. The Canon housing for the G7x is already designed and available for pre intro purchase as is the camera. I am thinking that cam and housing together will be in the $800. range in a few months.

Canon battery rated at 210 shots? Sony manages 320/350 - what is Canon doing for that power loss, assuming the batteries are the same size, as the bodies are the same and the specs are almost the same. Having to change the batteries/open the case between dives is a major risk and what was the principal flaw in the S series - in my view. And as well, I would really like to know how many minutes of 1080p Video I can record (in a continuous stream).

Power management options should be a higher concern for manufacturers. I see that Canon tries to mitigate the 210 shot spec by offering ECO mode, but what is that, and can I customize it to my needs like I can with my laptop? If I record JPEG + Raw how many shots might I expect?

I can buy dozens of add-on batteries for my i-phone so why nothing for cameras - if a top end U/W case manufacturer 'fixed' Canons' sloppy power profile and built in a battery back-up into the case design, I would buy it in a heartbeat. But of course the camera would need to accept the charge point.

Alternately I could be more selective in what I record.

the panny LX100 seems like a nice buy as well...granted, with a bit more bite into the wallet.

Having to change the batteries/open the case between dives is a major risk and what was the principal flaw in the S series - in my view.

+1

I can only guess they don't want to make a perfect camera because they think they will sell less of the models that aren't perfect. I think that's why AV and TV modes on the G-series default to certain speeds/apertures that can't be changed, and metering doesn't work properly in Manual mode. They want you to by the DSLR and the G-Series, not just one or the other......

the panny LX100 seems like a nice buy as well...

Mmmm, yes it does, and for me, the idea of working macro without a strobe is very attractive. I know strobes are defacto standard - don't want to start a row here... but the design of that Panasonic seems to hit the Macro strobe-less user as perfect.

But the Canon has the retracing lens, so I can push it into a pocket later, and I am glad to see the articulating Finder/Screen.

I am going to give this camera a nice test when it comes out. Based on the specs I don't see anything that makes me think it will be better than the Canon G16 for macro, or better than the Sony RX-100 II for wide-angle, but I could be wrong - we'll find out soon. It looks like the camera will be out in a week or two.

Scott Gietler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom