Valhalla Missile Silo / Family Scuba Center still open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six Feet Under

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently came across the silo online somehow (I can't remember where), but Google Maps is showing the store as permanently closed. Haven't tried calling, figure I would check here first and see if they were open, and if so, if it was even worth looking into.

Thanks!

I would try calling first.

The store is closed but you can still reach Mark or Linda to find out how to make arrangements to dive Valhalla. I believe it has to be a dive shop group that makes the reservations and arrangements.

My buddy is an instructor and affiliated with two different shops, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just trying to figure out if it's worth driving from Florida to see, and maybe hitting another place on the way there/back. We'd only have four days, maybe five at max to make the entire trip.

Yep, just call Mark. We did the missile dive a few weeks ago. Glad I did it...no desire to do it again anytime soon.

I was very impressed with Mark's knowledge about the history of the silo. We got the guided tour and really enjoyed it.

The diving: it is a long walk down a lot of stairs with your gear to get to the water (and back up after the dive). The Silo is ... well, it's a 60' diameter concrete tube with about 130' feet of fresh water in it. Nothing to see really. The water temp I believe was around 58 degrees. I enjoyed diving there just for the uniqueness and t-shirt. I would do it again if I had a training reason to go there. I'm not thinking that I would make a trip from Florida to dive it though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom