48 Hour Lockout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or you could pay attention to what the computer is telling you and not put yourself in that position to begin with.

I am sure the table divers will be along any minute to set everybody straight.

If you violate NDL its does not lock you out but goes into deco. If you violate deco some computers will lock out. It happened to me with a Vyper. A short surface interval caused it to become really restrictive compared to my Galileo Sol, which stayed cool. The Vyper gave me a long deco obligation and eventually I followed the Sol, surfaced and locked out the Vyper for 48 hrs.

The rules are in place to make sure you dive conservatively and don't violate the gas laws. Because some divers refuse to play by the rules and end up killing/injuring themselves, our dive insurance goes up, the cost to dive goes up, equipment costs go up etc... The only winners in this game are the blood sucking lawyers. Divers just pay higher costs.

If you violate your computer its because you broke a rule(s).

The "lockout" period that the computer goes into if a diver violates the computer's directions for completing an ascent is typically 48 hours because that is deemed an ultra-conservative estimate of how long it might take for the body to completely desaturate. I also like the suggestion by others that 48 hours allows for any signs or symptoms of DCS to manifest themselves. So while 24 hours is probably a reasonable estimate, I suspect the computer manufacturers choose to use 48 just to err on the conservative side. I suppose if a computer manufacturer wanted to get fancy, they could adjust the lockout period in accordance with how egregiously the diver violated the computer's directions, maybe locking up for only 24 hours for violations of just a few minutes (and/or a few feet) but locking up for longer for more severe violations--up to a maximum of 48 hours. But the fixed lockout period of 48 hours keeps it simple for them. The premise is that violating the computer's ascent directions is something that will occur only extremely rarely. So maybe there actually is some element of "punishment" as you put it, as a lockout period that's as short as a common interval between dives (say 12 hours) might not discourage people from more frequently allowing themselves to violate the computer's directions.

Incidentally, my computer (Suunto) also uses 48 hours as a fixed "no-fly time" after operating it in gauge mode. So even though we all typically think of 24 hours as a conservative suggestion for no-fly time, Suunto seems to believe that 48 hours is the most conservative possible no-fly time suggestion.

Exactly why I don't have a Suunto. There is enough nannying around without paying to have it on my arm too.

I saw someone with a suunto on a dive trip. She got locked out of her suunto, ignored it, swapped it with a loan unit (which obviously had no record of her gas loading). Kept diving, ended up in a chamber.

Can't protect everyone.

Back
Top Bottom