Just venting...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have pegged you as a surgeon after this post. But alas you are an ER doc.

Started life as a general surgeon . . . after getting a degree in math.

In my OW course, any student caught with a mask on the forehead had to buy the instructor a case of beer. It became almost a game to try and catch someone.

[HIJACK]In my OW course, it was "left a tank standing" rather than "put mask on forehead": If a TA spied the offense, you had to buy him/her a six-pack; if the instructor spied the offense, you had to spring for a case. No one was ever made to pay up, but the game was quite a bit of fun, nevertheless.[/HIJACK]

In my OW course, any student caught with a mask on the forehead had to buy the instructor a case of beer. It became almost a game to try and catch someone.

Have you become an alcoholic---yet??/.......You know, a lot of your students---like a lot of my patients---can be DUMB.......

Started life as a general surgeon . . . after getting a degree in math.

Paramedic's intuition was right!! I do enjoy your insight on this board, thanks for sharing your education and experience.

Have you become an alcoholic---yet??/.......You know, a lot of your students---like a lot of my patients---can be DUMB.......
:rofl3: My bad. I meant when I was in OW class as a student! And like rx7diver, we never actually had to pay up!

Good on you hijax! I would dive with you anytime with an attitude like that.

People make mistakes all the time. Most can simply be overlooked unless they ask for assistance. A friendly reminder to a friend should be welcome unless he has an attitude problem.

Good on you hijax! I would dive with you anytime with an attitude like that.

People make mistakes all the time. Most can simply be overlooked unless they ask for assistance. A friendly reminder to a friend should be welcome unless he has an attitude problem.

Thanks NetDoc. Much appreciated and I'll certainly look you up in the future since I live up near Boca and plan on getting down your way soon.

"There is no reason to devise a deliberate sign for a panicked diver. A panicked diver is not going to make any rational, deliberate decision to use such a sign to communicate panic. You don't do anything rational and deliberate when you are panicking." [/QUOTE]

Just an observation: Not not all distressed divers are panicked.

Last edited:
I was recently asked during a dive, "Rey, why do you have to get all technical" in a very snarky way. We were on the surface and I had signaled the boat. My buddy started to signal the boat also by waving his arm so I corrected him. He was cool with it but someone else that was with us is the one that made the remark. I have to say it frustrated me to get asked that.

I'm a stickler for the rules and I follow them so I can dive safely. I'm the type that will consider a dive plan before every dive, go over hand signals and inspect my buddy's gear to ensure I understand where everything is. I listen to the boat briefing...every time...because it sets the expectation of what to do and where to be when you're done. And I brush up on my skills yearly to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

It's just the way I'm wired and as a husband and father, I want to make sure I come back safely. I don't think my expectations or how I dive is out of the norm and diving isn't something you do recklessly.

Anyways, just venting to a group that may understand me. Not asking for anything but an ear.

The person you corrected could have chosen to learn from constructive feedback, instead of getting offended and upset. You can also make that choice! If they got defensive, or snarky, you can view it as their clumsy way of telling you that you have an opportunity to improve the way, in which you deliver unsolicited advice to random individuals. Accept their feedback as a gift. You can choose to treat this as a scientific experiment and try a different way of phrasing your advice, body language, or tone of voice, and see if that changes the outcome... ;-).

Back
Top Bottom