Tulamben restaurants and dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chinacat46

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm heading to Tulamben in a couple weeks and wanted recommendations for restaurants and dive sites. We are staying at Liberty Dive Resort.

Sandya is probably the best restaurant around, their grilled fish is usually very good, I return there every two days when I'm in Tulamben.
Forget Safety Stop that served me almost raw pork satays,
DiveVersion is mainly good for an afternoon snack or some pasta if you want a change.
I've heard many good things about Lesehan Segara which is out of town but can pick you up.
Sometimes I get a soup and/or the cake of the day at Tauch Terminal, at least they have decent coffee and ice cream.

Dive sites you can't miss :
Liberty wreck anytime,
Liberty slope esp. at night (lots of macro stuff)
Coral garden (nice cleaning station)
Seraya, Melasti and Segara, black sand dives.
Kubu wreck and reef : lots of coral reef fish, strangely unafraid of divers.
Alamanda, Palaung Palaung and Batu kelebit for a change (coral reef and walls).
Ask to go diving Amed Japanese wreck, it's a long way but worth it, Pyramids in Jemeluk are also good.

My best regards to Uji, he's a great dive guide, eagle eyes for macro stuff.

I was happy with Wayan's Restaurant which is almost on the corner of the lane that leads down to Tauch Terminal.

I'll try your recommendations Luko when I'm back there in November staying at Ocean View.

There is a warang right next to Tulamben Wreck Divers that does awesome food. It's not much to look at and you might think it's a bit dodgy, but I've eaten there many times with no problem.

Right across the street from TWD is a little hut that often does babi guling and it's fab, too.

Just down from TWD (to the right if you are looking at the street from there) in a little laneway that leads to the water is another gem of a place. Inexpensive and very good.

I have only eaten at a couple "restuarants" while I was there and I either got icky tummy each time or the food was simply BORING and overpriced, so now usually stay away from them.

There's a good tiny bakery on the road at the entrance to the big parking lot for the wreck. Decent bread in Indonesia can be hard to find.

And yes Luko's hit the divesite info on the head.

Liberty is a great shop you'll get your own guide even diving as one.

There is a warang right next to Tulamben Wreck Divers that does awesome food. It's not much to look at and you might think it's a bit dodgy, but I've eaten there many times with no problem.
If it's the one that is next door to a small vegetable market, I tried it once for lunch, their nasi goreng is very basic smells like chicken feet... I do not recommend this one. Some dive centres go with their client there only because it's one of the cheapest.

Btw, for babi guling, it's easy to order one day before at ANY restaurant. Same goes for ayam betutu.

I was happy with Wayan's Restaurant which is almost on the corner of the lane that leads down to Tauch Terminal.
It WAS good a couple of years ago, currently it's packed and slow serving very very plain food.

There's a good tiny bakery on the road at the entrance to the big parking lot for the wreck.
That's DiveVersion swiss bakery.

I stayed at the same dive shop, and you'll quickly discover that the restaurant attached to it serves excellent food. I barely left the resort. If you want some variety, the warung at the corner of the nearest junction does a pretty good, if small, mee and nasi goreng.

I stayed at the same dive shop, and you'll quickly discover that the restaurant attached to it serves excellent food.
In fact Sandya and Liberty Dive resort are the same owners. I believe they basically serve the same dishes : sometimes you may even see someone from LDC fetching some food from Sandya.

Thanks for all the info. I leave in 12 days can't wait.

There are no fancy restaurants in Tulamben but food in the in-house restaurant at Liberty was good enough when I stayed there this June.

As for dive sites in Tulamben, there is the Liberty Wreck, of course. A day and a night dive there is a must IMO. Coral Garden, Drop Off, Alamanda, Emerald, Batu Belah, Kubu and Sereya Secrets are mong the best of the local dive sites. Finish off with the Tulamben Drift Dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom