Looking for best agency for tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There isn't one. Many instructors teach for several agencies and most students take programs from several different ones along the way. I took normoxic trimix three times because I kept learning different ways to apply the same set of concepts through different lenses. Some agencies emphasize different things than others. Some have great programs and instructors and terrible literature. Others have great literature and terrible programs and instructors. So far as I'm concerned none have both (on a reliable basis - you may get lucky and find a great instructor AND a great program... but you're better off doing deliberate research to ensure it).

After my intro tech training (and before I did any further tech training) I acquired and read most of the course manuals for the major agencies to see if there was something in there that resonated for me. In addition to giving me a good basis of knowledge to come to class with, it generated a lot of questions about how differently the various viewpoints presented things. There are even some stark contradictions between the agencies that generated very helpful discussions with my eventual instructors.

I think one of the things about tech diver training is that it's even more non-linear than recreational diver training (should be). You're not "done" when you get your advanced trimix card. You're never done. You might even go back and re-take another course because someone has a new idea that you're unfamiliar with.

Tech diving is a lifestyle decision. It's something you apply your mind to on a far more dedicated basis than anything in the recreational diving world. Application of superlatives are foolish. No agency has used their magic to eliminate diver injury and death. You're never going to know enough, so why bother declaring one the "best"?

Be sure to TALK with a prospective tech instructor. Just because they list that they teach "tech" or cave, deco, etc on their website doesn't mean that they know squat about actually doing it. Ask them how often they make those types of dives, where, etc. I have a local instructor who claims to be a tech training instructor but has never done anything but NDL dives.

This is where talking to other local divers comes in too. Ask who their instructors were and if they would recommend them.

So far I've been trained by CMAS, TDI, IANTD and GUE.

- First establish what you want to do: Cave, Wreck, etc... and see if you think you would like doing it... seems strange but you would not be the first getting a Trimix cert and not diving it afterwards because you get seasick very easily. Others still get seasick but really like the wrecks and history of the wrecks so much that they "stomach" it (excuse the pun). Same goes for overhead btw.
- Community: Whatever local community is very active can also steer your direction. If there is a very active IANTD community with instructors doing the dives, you will tend do leviate towards that because it makes live easier. Not said that you can't do without community... but in the end you'll need dive-buddy's to do those dives with.
- Instructor: Most important thing IMO is establishing the credentials of the instructor. Is he doing the dives he teaches... not very easy to establish, because you can have the big fish in the little pool effect where everybody in the local community is thought by the same instructor putting him on a pedistal, while not being critical on how good an instructor he really is. 2nd is to see if you can work with his way of teaching. This is very personnal.

In my future I have chosen to further my training with GUE. The main reason is 2 fold, because they have an instructor base who are top-notch and because of the standardised team system making live on technical dives very easy. I litteraly have jumped in the water to do cave or technical dives with GUE trained divers without doing any check dive, without having to translate a lot of procedures, planning, gas-management, deco-management, communication, because it's standardised. I could also do such dives with other agency divers, but this would mean sharing much more background, procedures, and such which are not ingrained, making the planning of dives at least more difficult outside of your local community.

Whatever you chose a good basis is always fundies, it's a very good lowlevel baseline to establish where you are before continueing technical training.

Enjoy the voyage it's a lot of fun :)

The best way is what your feeling fits. In my case it was iantd with different instructors in different countries. I like to dive all mixes I want, so best mix. I dive sometimes solo too, I like the courses, and last but not least, the courses where not too expensive and I could choose where and when to do it. For me a gue fundies class is not usefull anymore, I will not learn enough anymore to say the price is ok. I am full trimix certified on oc and ccr and have done dives over 100m. There is always something to learn, and I still try to improve, but for me not by doing a course over again. I always look back at the dives I did and what is possible to improve. During a simple fundive I practise my skills, etc. That is my way to improve. There is no best agency, an instructor and a course and fylosophy must fit you.

Last edited:
I've also started wondering about the same question: which agency offers the "best" program in terms of structure, efficiency, and...common sense, and NOT designed to confuse you or to rip you off.

I am trained on NAUI (AOW, OW, Nitrox) and my coach runs a shop that is also NAUI tech certified, so I've been given an intro seminar on "Intro to tech" and I really enjoyed it.

My impression could be wrong, but I'm told that NAUI teaches all the basics up front in the Intro, whereas other agencies spreads out those basics to other specialty lessons. That's one example. For me as a customer, I care about those most -- the design of the product/service. That is, does the training progression make "sense"?

While the instructor is important, the agency/system is also critical because it involves your commitment and expenses (one time and recurring). I would love to hear any personal opinions/analysis especially on NAUI vs PADI vs TDI. I'm aware this might lead to a debate, but I like insight opinions.

I've also started wondering about the same question: which agency offers the "best" program in terms of structure, efficiency, and...common sense, and NOT designed to confuse you or to rip you off.

I am trained on NAUI (AOW, OW, Nitrox) and my coach runs a shop that is also NAUI tech certified, so I've been given an intro seminar on "Intro to tech" and I really enjoyed it.

My impression could be wrong, but I'm told that NAUI teaches all the basics up front in the Intro, whereas other agencies spreads out those basics to other specialty lessons. That's one example. For me as a customer, I care about those most -- the design of the product/service. That is, does the training progression make "sense"?

While the instructor is important, the agency/system is also critical because it involves your commitment and expenses (one time and recurring). I would love to hear any personal opinions/analysis especially on NAUI vs PADI vs TDI. I'm aware this might lead to a debate, but I like insight opinions.

Probably be good if you read the thread leading up to your post. Asked and answered.

If you are trying to figure out which agency to go with first and then try to find an instructor who teaches their system I would recommend the following:

- Consider choosing an agency with a longer history in "Tech"
- Several large agencies only recently developed "Tech" programs

Do you want a Tech program developed by a culture Tech Divers or a culture of OW book publishers who will only dive in 80 degree water with 80 feet of visibility?

- Consider choosing an agency with a longer history in "Tech"
- Several large agencies only recently developed "Tech" programs
So, by that logic, everyone should be diving PSAI....right?? (Since they're WAY older than TDI. Weren't they the first agency to certify Tech divers and instructors and whatnot?)
Of course that's not the predominant criterion, or should even be a big one. I'm assuming you're talking about PADI, but PADI's Tech books really are very good. Their progression is a little different, but it's not "bad."

Well, first of all, don't discount a good instructor. That's been beaten to death. However, even a good instructor can be handcuffed by a bad agency. Some agencies "require" instructors stick to their standards and do little or no better. Too much structure can be frustrating as a student and can be very frustrating to a good instructor.

What is "best" is very subjective, or there'd just be one agency left and nobody bad-mouthing them. Every agency has its little quirks that don't quite line up the way someone wants. I'm certified through several agencies and I've yet to find one that fits me perfectly....but they're all reasonably good. The biggest thing I'm facing now is the rules concerning Trimix prerequisites.

As far as "recurring" expenses, I'm curious as to what you're talking about. Only in agencies with expiring certs is that an issue, like GUE. However, I think GUE's structure and progression is worth the renewal "hassle"....what's kept me out of GUE is the lack of a sidemount option. My current "main" agency is PSAI, only because that's what my instructor is the least restricted by. He pushes beyond minimum standards and expectations, and they work with him and my other instructor to ensure they can teach the classes they want within standards (I got my deco training in a cave, something many agencies aren't super okay with).

Back
Top Bottom