Woman dead - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Interesting that the writer calls 68 "elderly." It's old, senior citizen, but elderly...?

Elderly Woman Dies While Trying To Catch Lobsters « CBS Miami
FLORIDA KEYS (CBSMiami) – A 68-year-old woman diving off the shore in the Lower Keys died Monday afternoon.
Elizabeth Hoaglin was scuba diving and catching lobsters with friends at the Jewfish Channel when she lost consciousness, said Monroe County deputies.
According to authorities, her friends said they noticed Hoaglin started to struggle near the surface after being underwater for only a few minutes.
Hoaglin’s friends reportedly pulled her into the boat, began CPR and called the Coast Guard for help.
The Coast Guard said they brought Hoaglin ashore and were met by paramedics who transported her to Lower Keys Hospital.
She was pronounced dead at the hospital at 1:30 p.m.
An autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death.

68 is elderly?

Reactions: Jax
If you have to ask if it's elderly, it is.

'Elderly' is just another attempt from some media outlet to sensationalize the story. They left out the part where her oxygen tanks failed in shark infested waters.

It is sad we lost a diver who had friends and family.
It is sad that the media in general is a bunch sensationalist attention whores.
It is sad that the public reads their crap and believes it.

68 is elderly?

Merriam Webster defines "elderly" as being past middle age.

They also define "middle age" as about age 40 to about age 60.

I don't think the term was used improperly.

To a 28 YO, it's ancient..........(but I'm now getting elderly, I guess...ie 62 YO)......

Wow... Compassion runs shallow here i guess.
It's just not the reason for this forum. Indeed, "condolences" are prohibited on this one, altho that's rarely enforced. Those belong on the Passings forum where they will not interfere with discussions of the accident. In this case tho, we just have very little to discuss about this accident as not much info is given.

Maybe so. I wonder if my neighbors worry about me mowing grass when the temps are in the high 90s, but I find that grass mows better when the humidity is lower. My physical challenges have more to do with being out of shape than my age, but I've learned to hydrate more.

'Elderly' is just another attempt from some media outlet to sensationalize the story. They left out the part where her oxygen tanks failed in shark infested waters.

It is sad we lost a diver who had friends and family.
It is sad that the media in general is a bunch sensationalist attention whores.
It is sad that the public reads their crap and believes it.
Good appraisal I think. :thumb:

Now you defining the beginning of presbyopia---& as an eye doc, I LOVE IT.....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom