Quality of Air or Nitrox issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imjustdave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was on a trip and stopped by a new to me dive shop for a tank fill of 32% The next day went for a dive at about the 30 foot mark 10 min or so I was a little dizzy for maybe 30 seconds or so kind of felt like I was in a washing machine kind of felt like it was the current moving me around, didn't think much of it past being in some sort of current. Continued the dive to about 70 feet and then headed slowly to the shallow less deeper part of our dive. I would say at 20-30 min into the dive I started to feel sick I wasn't cold, and we were taking a very leisurely dive, just putting along per say looking at the plant life. At this point I was letting my buddy know that we need to do our safety stop and head up. I knew if I had to throw up I would do so and hold my reg in, but it wasn't something I wanted to do.

By the time we were on the surface my stomach was twisting, and wasn't feeling well at all, I was able to do the surface swim ok but honestly if I got worse or if it was in big waves I might have dropped my weight or requested help from my dive buddy. I felt like I could have thrown up but didn't. We packed up, and walked over to the local eatery for some food, at first I didn't eat much but slowly ate a little more, and drank water. I would say it took a few hrs before I felt better and my buddy could tell I wasn't doing the best either.

So Here is my Questions.

Has anyone ever had any issue when breathing Nitrox staying well within depth limits? 70 feet on 32%?

What sort of tests could I have done on my tank of air? As I recall I have 600+ psi still... used a lot overfilling my BS and dry-suit to make the surface swim, and clearing out my BC on land.

Looking for ideas, thank you everyone.

I would be looking for CO or possibly oil contamination.

Nitrox had nothing to do with it.

I immediately think of two possibilities:

1. You were just sick briefly and coincidentally--it happens. That is not my first choice, since you recovered as you did.

2. Carbon monoxide poisoning. Get a CO tester and have that tank tested for it, and do it soon. If your tank was contaminated, it is possible other tanks were contaminated as well. You might save someone's life.

It could be something else, but those are the first things I would consider.

I second the notion of testing the tank air for CO. If it does have an unsafe level of CO, you should let the shop know. (The shop should compensate you for putting you in mortal danger but that's another thread.)

Is there any governmental agency that regulates shops that fill tanks with air? Any place to make a report (besides ScubaBoard)?

Could be ear issues too! That can cause dizzyness and nausea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom