Looking for a buddy for dutch springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barfuss78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for anyone looking to buddy up for Dutch Spring or any local NJ shore diving? I'm Rescue Diver Certified with over 50 plus dives.

Hi there, Barfuss

I'm going to be up at Dutch this weekend. My son is doing his checkout dives for his OW cert. As I'm not allowed to dive with him during those dives, I might be able to sneak in a dive or two. Unfortunately, those dives would have to be on the shorter side to try and coincide with when he is on his dives. So not optimal, but if you are simply looking for a quick dive to work on some skills or something, it could work out.

Todd

As I'm not allowed to dive with him during those dives, I might be able to sneak in a dive or two.

My son had his OW certs last year at Dutch and the Instructor was fine with me tagging along - I took GoPro video of his first 3 OW Dives... And for the last dive the instructor asked me to take my son and a second OW cert diver to the helicopter (surface swim) and cut a 30 to 35 degree heading back to the student area we hit the boat and airplane on the way back - he split up the others and had his hands full.
Strange how different instructors / agencies work.

I believe the issue with me diving along is that the PADI requirement is a 4 to 1 ratio of instructor to student and there are 4 students, and therefore, if I were to tag along, then the ratio is not strictly 4:1 even though I'm a certified diver.

My son had his OW certs last year at Dutch and the Instructor was fine with me tagging along - I took GoPro video of his first 3 OW Dives... And for the last dive the instructor asked me to take my son and a second OW cert diver to the helicopter (surface swim) and cut a 30 to 35 degree heading back to the student area we hit the boat and airplane on the way back - he split up the others and had his hands full.
Strange how different instructors / agencies work.

Scary! "Tag a longs" during an Open Water Class is a Violation of Standards. Having you lead your son and another student on the final dive is also a Violation of Standards.

"Strange how different instructors / agencies work" - More like, Strange how instructors don't care about standards! Especially at Dutch Springs where temps can be colder, thicker wetsuits, hood, gloves and visibility isn't always the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom