Huntington Beach Dive CANCELLED? by huge storm Sept 12-13?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huntington Beach has always been known as the surfing center of Orange county and one of the west coast's premier surfing locations. It is the location of a number of local and national surfing contest

It's surf is generally long period well formed rollers which makes it ideal for surfing and difficult for diving activities.

When dive instructors were expected to be water people and know how to swim the pier swim was one of the training activities prior to entering the LA County UW Instructor program. The candidate was expected to swim to the end of the pier, dive to bottom pick up sand and return to shore, all with out swim aids.

There are times, generally during fall Santa Ana winds blow when the surf is low and the area is diveable. Visibly is poor but halibut can be speared (oh the horror of Spearing Fish!) and Pismo clams maybe harvested, along with items tossed or lost off the pier.

However that window of opportunity for diving occurs only a few weeks a year, and now is not he time to dive Huntington Beach.

SDM

Save this number on your phone (949) 494-6573. It's the Laguna Beach Lifeguard surf and weather observation line. It's a recording of the conditions in Laguna, updated about 9 am (give or take) each day. Check it throughout the week to get a feel for what the surf is doing.

Hey, I finally did some surfing myself... swell surfed me right up onto the stairs at the end of last night's dive!

Hey, I finally did some surfing myself... swell surfed me right up onto the stairs at the end of last night's dive!

Hopefully no damage done getting bounced around on the stairs.
How are the conditions at the park.
We have reservations for T, W, Th are are not ready to "surf the stairs"

You'll have a lot more fun getting on a boat and heading over to the island anyway. It's been gorgeous for the last few weeks at Catalina, Clemente and Anacapa with visibility over 50 feet and temps in the high 60s at depth. I can't say anything nearly so positive about the nearshore diving in the past couple of weeks.

You'll have a lot more fun getting on a boat and heading over to the island anyway. It's been gorgeous for the last few weeks at Catalina, Clemente and Anacapa with visibility over 50 feet and temps in the high 60s at depth. I can't say anything nearly so positive about the nearshore diving in the past couple of weeks.

Catalina was 70-72 degrees labor day weekend. Is Anacapa a bit colder?

Wow 70 to 72 degrees. Last time I was in anything that warm was in Hawaii about 14 years ago.
Time for me to do another poor mans tropical vacation to Socal!

I spent the last two weekends at catalina...west end....72°-74° at the surface....I had 74° at 24 feet on the west side lions head...Visibility was good above 35 feet and below 70 feet the weekend of 9/1...the visibility was horrible and the waves/swell never stopped the weekend of 9/8...

Back
Top Bottom