Back Roll off a boat... Will I die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone shot video of a sidemount diver doing a backroll entry? I just searched YouTube and couldn't find anything.

With luck I should be able to point you to a link in a few days. One of the folks out with us had a drone and he took video of a number of the entries.

A promised. A short little video taken from a drone. It makes for an interesting perspective.

[video=youtube;JdPGQffI8Og]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPGQffI8Og&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Video taken by Nathan Harwood
The boat is the "Skydiver" - UB Diving, Courtney BC.
We were all from The Dive Shop in Calgary

They both seemed to have a little trouble righting themselves. Is that normal in side mount? Is a back roll the best way to enter the water diving side mount?

They both seemed to have a little trouble righting themselves. Is that normal in side mount? Is a back roll the best way to enter the water diving side mount?

I think "normal" will come with more practice. Back roll is certainly fastest and least disruptive... you could have your tanks handed down to you after entering, but that takes a while, and then there's the clipping etc.

On our recent trip to Indo I used sidemount, mostly single tank but a few days of two tanks. I, too, was curious about how the backroll would go, and it was fine. The only issue I had was with a bit of a rushed entry on one dive where my crotch strap was not tightened, and when I hit the water I was slow to right myself and had some odd ear sounds during the dive, but was okay for the next dive. By the end of the trip (about 25 dives over 10 days) it was as comfy as backmount.

If you get the balance right, you can do a full 360 underwater and pop up right side up.

Usually we go out with the larger boat that permits a "giant stride". This time we had the small boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom