What kind of nitrox analyzer to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I searched the forum but found 2012 info. Though I would check here for updated recommendations. We travel and dive nitrox and also use nitrox at home. Sometimes when we travel the analyzer goes all over the place (ie not working well) and so would prefer to have our own we travel with. And it also helps when our group is loading up 25 tanks at a time, we can run 2 analyzers to speed up the process :D

Are there any recommendations on different types/features I should consider?
Thanks!
Shell

It won't me change title: guess it should say O2 analyzer...

Analox is my preferred analyzer. Simple and robust. The cells are a bit expensive but they are guaranteed to last three years. Use the cell saver and one can stretch that to 4-5 years.

BTW I should add that it seems like most places want you to record the O2 percentage as well as the pressure. As such, when I travel I take both my analyzer and my pressure gauge. When we were in Bonaire we would line up the cylinders for the day and one person would check the O2 percent while another would record, then repeat with pressure. We would be done in 5 minutes while others seemed to be fighting with the shop analyzer and gauge.

Last edited:
We had the Oxycheq basic analyzer (not the El Cheapo, but the already assembled one). We were very happy with it, as much as I loathe endorsing anything from Oxycheq. I would advise AGAINST the El Cheapo, unless you are very handy. I thought, when I bought it, that it would be like a Radio Shack kit, with a bit of soldering and putting things together. I had no idea that they didn't even cut the holes for the switches in the plastic case before shipping it, and that the circuit board they provide you with may or may not require alteration before it could be used. We ended up sending ours to a good friend to be completed. I wouldn't buy it again.

DiveNav's "NitroxBuddy" perks some interest.....

the whole "social media" side has no value, but the lower cost of the unit due to your smart phone being the display as well as its small (and fairly robust) size are some benefits...

If I was buying one again my choice would be the Analox.

I dont know of any bad ones, they are pretty good. Never had issue with Analox.

Analox O2EII with a cell saver cap and when you need to replace a cell get a Vandagraph R33DE sensor instead as they are compatible and considerably cheaper than the analox.

You might have looked at a thread where I asked the very same question in 2012.

I went with the Analox O2EII Nitrox Analyzer at LeisurePro

And I could not be anymore happier with the Analox O2EII. I have used mine now for over 2 years with no issues (200+ tanks). Our dive club has one and some other brand. No one uses the other brand so I could not even tell you which brand it is. But the club's Analox O2EII gets used about 300-500 times per month. I have tested as many as 30 tanks in a single morning and it took longer to record the data in a log than to do the actual test. I also agree with Hickdive, a pressure gauge is handy. If you are testing tanks in a not-so-reputable part of the world, you might also consider a CO tester. Dirty gas has been known to happen.

I recommend buying the kit that includes the Pelican case; well worth the extra money. And like Hickdive mentioned also pick up a cell saver cap. The cap is a plug that keep O2 from entering your analyzer when it is not used. This will prolong your sensor cell inside the analyzer.

I replaced my old Oxycheq Expedition with the Palm O2 analyzer from AAI and have been happy with it. It seems to be more rugged than the Oxycheq does the job.

Back
Top Bottom