Using a bp/w for dive master training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to your original question -- I do dive a jacket BC in the pool with students, where I have to demonstrate skills. The only ones that are different are the doff and don, but they are significantly different. If your instructors will not ask you to demo those skills, everything else will be fine. Honestly, I think students rarely notice what gear we are using -- we do use backplates in OW, and the students have never asked any questions about that different-looking gear.

Wow, so many strong opinions about jacket BC for a DM. From my limited experience, while in the pool demonstrating PADI OW or AOW skills, I use a jacket BC with octo (minimal back inflate BCD). If I am accompany an OW student in open water, I will use a jacket BC/octo. After the pool sessions and first OW dives, I use a BP/W, long hose, et al. Many feel that OW students during the pool sessions and first OW dives need consistency and similar message. As a DM, I use my BP/W etc. Of course, I go over my personal equipment with the customers, so they have a clear mental image for OOA and other related issues. After a few days of diving, they all start to look at my kit, long hose and start to ask questions. I am not associated with any LDS or equipment dealer.

My daughter was certified as an OW and AOW diver by a GUE instructor. My daughter and her instructor used a standard BC/octo for the pools sessions and first OW dives. After the pools sessions and first OW dives, he started to use his standard kit and he donated a BP/W for my daughter. Now she is spoiled and will never use a BCD (nor a computer for that matter). My two cents, charlie

Certainly if you wear a BPW during a training session you will die! :wink:

I have gotten comments from a few instrucotrs/DMs that wearing a BPW is old school. I have been able to do all of the skills training with it on with no issue. It is one extra step to thread the crotch strap which is no big deal. How many times have you seen people struggling to get their integrated weights to lock in correctly?

On the other hand I have seen more instructors using BPWs even during pool sessions than ever before so I think the issue is a matter of either shop preference to sell their gear or instructors are using what they are most comfortable with.

my 2 cents....

The shop has replayed saying that my dm instructor is an experienced tech diver and will sit down and talk to me about what she thinks will best fit my needs for my diving and ambitions. I think this is a great reply as i have limited experience and do not want to regret a purchase. However I don't know if I can physically go without buying a something for another 2months as in koh Tao every other shop is a Dive shop and the temptation is high.

Im I not sure if padi will reply as I didn't send any money with the email or they will recommend I ask my local dive shop about doing a padi email speciality before attempting any further action.

Still any any advice is wanted

what system would you get if you where buying right now and what system will work well in warm calm water but have the option to swap out parts for other conditions

what would you say is a all round strong bpw

and if possible cheep

BP/W's are great. With that said, as a DMC, (Dive Master Candidate), you too are actually a student. If your instructor says, "put a traditional BC on", you put a traditional BC on. If he/she tells you to make coffee, and go pick up his dry cleaning, that's exactly what you do.

Bull$h!t, what you do is find a more professional teacher that treats DM candidates with respect. There are many.

I did my DM course in a BP/W, no problems at all. I occasionally used a jacket BC assisting with OW cert class pool sessions in which all the students were wearing jackets. Yechhh....

This is the padi reply

Dear Ben,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The answers you have received so far may be influenced by the actual location where you plan to be teaching and by the personal preference of the diver himself.

In most resort dive centres the standard BCD & equipment is used and it is generally recommended that the instructor be wearing the same equipment as his students to avoid confusing them. This is a general unwritten rule that most dive centres follow worldwide and PADI would always recommend this also.

You may find it helpful to review what it states in the current PADI Instructor Manual on page 118:

Discover Scuba Diving program:
Diver Prerequisites
10 years old
Equipment
Mask, fins, scuba cylinder, buoyancy control device with low-pressure inflator, regulator and submersible pressure gauge.

And also the section- General Standards & Procedures page 14 onwards:
Equipment
Standard Diver Equipment
Make sure divers have, at a minimum:
1. Fins, mask and snorkel
2. Compressed gas cylinder and valve*
3. Buoyancy control device (BCD) with tank mount or separate backpack, and low pressure inflator*
4. Primary regulator and alternate air source*
* Exception: Using a registered rebreather is acceptable if course performance requirements can be met. Do not use rebreathers during PADI Discover Scuba Diving programs, PADI Scuba Diver, Open Water Diver or Instructor Development Courses.
5. Breathing gas monitoring device (e.g. submersible pressure gauge)
6. Depth monitoring device
7. Quick release weight system and weights (if necessary for neutral buoyancy, or if required for skills practice)
8. Adequate exposure protection appropriate for local dive conditions.
Note: The dry suit orientation requirement in this guide.
9. At least one audible emergency surface signaling device (whistle, air horn, etc.).
10. Dive computer or RDP (eRDPML or Table) Familiarize divers with the equipment they use in the course.

Please remember that during a Discover Scuba Diving program or “try dive” the instructor is in control of all aspects of the equipment set up and use. The student is not in control of any aspect of the program at this stage. The instructor is controlling buoyancy etc. under the supervision rules.

We would normally recommend that the instructor be wearing the same equipment as his students to avoid confusion on the part of the student. If you are intending going down the technical diving route it may be a good idea to have two sets of equipment- one for teaching which follows standard equipment configuration, and one for your own use when pleasure diving. Please bear in mind that you may be required to use the same equipment as your students by the dive centre management of the place you end up working at.

I hope this helps.

Follow directions. Don't run their errands. Pay on time. Smile a lot. I use a BP/W exclusively but lately I've had a yen to pull out the old workhorse I did my DM stuff in - USD Sea Master - take her for a spin. Looks kind of lonely and forlorn just laying there in the dive locker.
dont be intimidated by a BP/W - probably the most frustrating part is - if you're a new user - figuring out the threading of new resin impregnated straps, getting the keepers, rings and buckle on correctly.
10 minutes into your first dive, you'll see why most LDS's eschew their use. ($$$$$$) not near the markup margin
PS - oh, and the crotch strap - so old school but not too comfy if just diving in baggy surf trunks

What kind of backplate system you choose depends a lot on how you are diving. If you are diving warm water with no exposure protection, for example, you might want to choose an aluminum plate in order to allow you to wear a little weight to help your trim (or because you want something to ditch). If you are diving a wetsuit, you might be happy with a steel plate, to minimize the amount of actual lead you have to wear.

In cold water, aluminum plates with single tanks are generally undesirable, but may be necessary with doubles, to allow the use of enough lead to balance head-heavy tanks.

I suspect you would be fine with an aluminum plate (and they're cheaper). What brand may depend on what's available where you are, or what you are willing to pay shipping on. Dive Rite has some very affordable gear, and you might be able to find a local shop that is a dealer. For a warm water, single tank setup, you need somewhere between 17 and 26 pounds of lift, depending on your exposure protection. Don't try to buy a wing that will be all things to all people -- buy one that works for what you are doing now, and resign yourself to buying another wing if you move to doubles, or dive cold water.

Interesting, I'm pretty sure not all of the gear I was given during training had an 'audible emergency surface signaling device', and I don't have one on my own gear now, not sure anything short if an air horn would be much good! Incidentally, make sure you let us know what you go for in the end.

I sent emails to different padi offices around the world because I suspected it would be a localised view on what equipment to use the above email is from padi Europe

and this email is from padi USA it's a little different

Ben,

With respect to your question, there is nothing wrong with using a back and a long hose (I use the very same) when diving recreationally. The only real requirement is that you stow your alternate air source within the triangle of the body as indicated to students in the PADI Open Water Diver manual. Sharing air w/ a long hose does not differ much from those who use an Air II (integrated into BCD LPI hose) where the donor donates the regulator in their mouth and takes the alternate for themselves. This has been acceptable for decades within the PADI system.

We only take issue when there is a major departure, such as trying to use a CCR when students are on open circuit, in the equipment configuration when teaching.

I hope this clears this up.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom