GoPro Video from Fiji Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trip report would be great.

been to Fiji and surrounding islands 3 times, 4th is coming up this spring to small island off of Taveuni at a 5 star pampered resort!

did you get the full tide cup full of Kava? Fiji Beer is GREAT, and the people are the friendliest in the word.

I recommend Fiji to anyone due to cheap exchange rate $$$ and wonders of wonders.

Great video. I was in Fiji this past February Brought back good memories. I thought the reefs there were the healthiest I have ever seen. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi "RockyHeap,"

Here's the link to the trip report: link

I did have Kava twice; not as bad tasting as some people say. I got the full cup each time, but the second time they only gave my wife half a cup. They must have thought she was a light weight!

I JUST got back from Fiji. I was near you at Volivoli. I had broken ribs shortly before the trip and could not take my big heavy camera. I had to be satisfied with my GoPro....which I really didn't like.

I see you got edge distortion on yours as I did. That really bugged me. I tried to use the Micromate macro lens from Backscatter but had horrible vignetting with it. I will contact them to see why.

Loved kava and REALLY loved Fiji Bitters beer.

BTW, nice video! I need to learn how to edit mine. You don't live in NC do you? I could sure use some help.

I see you got edge distortion on yours as I did. That really bugged me. I tried to use the Micromate macro lens from Backscatter but had horrible vignetting with it. I will contact them to see why.

Hi Allison, I thought I would lyk I also had edge distortion. I had mine set to 720/30 on the widest setting. I later was advised to switch to 1080/30/wide and it eliminated the problem. All my Hawaii video looks like this so it's been a loss so to speak, but I learned!
Here are two short clips, watch the divers yellow fin around the outer edge of the frame..... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MR-trv1_Lg0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gk2WL2rIgY

Hi Allison,

I usually leave my GoPro in the widest FOV setting, which is most likely the reason for the distortion around the edges. While the distortion occasionally bothers me, I like the fact that I don't have to worry about whether my subject is in the shot (an issue unless you have the LCD display). After your feedback, I'll probably try reducing the FOV next time.

I don't live in NC, but you can download the free GoPro editing software that I used from their website. It has plenty of features, including the ability to correct for some of the wide-angle distortions, or at least zoom in so that the edges of the frame are no longer visible. It's not professional grade, but free is free. I'm sure this forum contains some posts on how to get the most out of the software.

I hope that helps,

--Thumbsplitter

I had mine set on medium FOV, 1080 60fps and still had my distortion. I am very new to GoPro and still learning. I usually have it mounted to my big camera rig and have fewer stability problems. This time, on a lightweight tray, I had some real issues.

As for the very expensive Macromate Mini, I am reserving harsh judgements until I discuss my vignetting issues with them and rule out operator error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom