Does it matter which SS plate I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trexmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does it matter which SS plate I Buy?
I have an aluminum dive rite plate for my hollis BP but want to put on a SS.
They vary a lot in prices.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
RT

yes... and no....

If using a STA, the bolt pattern for 99.96% of plates should do you fine. If dealing with cam band slots in the plate and the wing slots, it can be a crap shoot....

hopefully some folks will chime in with what they are using.

There is nothing I hate more than proprietary stuff...... :angrymob:

Ok, I'll say it....HOG plates are solid and well priced, and if you're using an STA your fine. If not send and email and get the measurements to see if they line up. Odds are they will. Or just buy a sta from NESS for $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an aluminum dive rite plate for my hollis BP but want to put on a SS.

why not a DR SS plate then? They are in the "economical" level, and appear to work....

I bought the Hollis SS from Leisure pro for $85 with shipping included.
Thanks for the advice

Glad you got your question answered Trexmdr. For anyone else with the same question, not all back plates are the same. If you have a Hollis wing I'd recommend a Hollis BP, if you have a Halcyon wing I'd recommend a Halcyon BP. I speak from experience, I had a hard time attaching my Dive Rite butt plate to my Hollis BP. Hope these pictures help spot the differences.

(From Left to Right): Hollis, Halcyon, Dive Rite, Apeks (Aqualung),OMS
Hollis.jpghalcyon.jpg DR.jpg apeks.jpg OMS.jpg

I prefer the DSS plates because the shoulder strap slots are angled. BIG advantage if you are wide-shouldered.

Can vouch for both Halcyon and Zeagle- the Zeagle doesn't need a STA. The advantage is its more streamlined, bringing the tank 2" odd closer to the plate, the halcyon on the other hand is good for extra weight on the back with the STA weighing about 3/4lb and you can add up to 6lb in a moulded weight that fits the STA- very good for trimming up a dry suit or thick wetsuit.

Halcyons ally plate has the same slots cut for tank bands like the zeagle, this is because of the reason of use, cold water or warm, tech loaded up or rec diving, on airplanes luggage weight.

So I'll also look at what your going to use it for as the imperative.

I like the zeagle, but now prefer the halcyon, the stainless inflator on the wing with halcyon and the bladder membrane is better quality and I have both a SS and alloy BP rigged up ready to use- shallow warm water with camera I prefer the alloy as it makes me more belly down bias with is how I like to shoot my macro shots. The Stainless I prefer for deeper dives and in current so my trim is perfect.

Ohh and I got a tiny little hog wing 23lb lift with thin Chinese SS BP rigged with car seat belt for traveling, if it gets stolen I don't really care :p

yes... and no....

If using a STA, the bolt pattern for 99.96% of plates should do you fine. If dealing with cam band slots in the plate and the wing slots, it can be a crap shoot....

hopefully some folks will chime in with what they are using.

There is nothing I hate more than proprietary stuff...... :angrymob:

I agree that the bolt spacing will be just about 100% fine. The one thing I would caution you on is the depth of the curve in the plate. I have an Apex SS BP that is pretty deep and I can have a hard time attaching a wing and harness to it using standard bolt length. Does this make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom