amed suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lofish

Contributor
Reaction score
been to bali a few times but always missd amed. Plan to spend a week there later, any suggestions. thanks.

My suggestion: do it.

The diving is great, there is a huge range of accommodation, everyone I met was friendly & helpful (except the owner of the place I stayed, who was a bit of a...but it was all ok despite that). I'm off to Amed in a couple of weeks for a return visit.

Returning from Bali including a stay in Amed : for me Japanese Wreck is definitely worth 3 dives (I am a photographer) : two dives at day time around the wreck then in the back coral fields, another one at night, uncommon nudis plenty of crustacea.
Clearly other Amed dives were not up, unless you're on a weather frame where Gili Selang or Golden Rock can be dived.

Probably the best way to dive the Japanese wreck is to dive and stay with Baliku dive resort, it's quite a long way there to Aas village.

I completely agree with Luko. The Japanese Wreck is a great dive, especially the reef next to it. When I first arrived at the site I thought it was going to suck as there were so many people there. I was very pleasantly surprised and have enjoyed it every time since.

I usually stay at Wawa Wewe- clean, friendly, great pool...kind of in the middle of Amed. If you decide to rent a motorbike be very careful at night. The hills are intense and the road in not so great condition. I have a friend who hit a hole pretty hard- ended up in Denpassar having his collar bone set. Not fun.

Tulamben is much easier for walking as driving a motorbike, especially after a few post-dive cocktails, is a bad, bad idea. I would probably split a week between Tulamben and Amed rather then spend the entire time there. Others might disagree.

thanks for the input! guess just 2/3 days is enough.

matts1w, I dont plan to a motorbike, when i need to go somewhere, i just ask them to drive me.

Returning from Bali including a stay in Amed : for me Japanese Wreck is definitely worth 3 dives (I am a photographer) : two dives at day time around the wreck then in the back coral fields, another one at night, uncommon nudis plenty of crustacea.
Clearly other Amed dives were not up, unless you're on a weather frame where Gili Selang or Golden Rock can be dived.

Probably the best way to dive the Japanese wreck is to dive and stay with Baliku dive resort, it's quite a long way there to Aas village.

Last time I dove the Japanese wreck, it was in the surf line and the water was very cloudy. Has this changed?

This is the same place you pick up a boat for Gili Selang, correct? That (rapid) drift was very nice dive

Another thumbs up for Wawa Wewe, but I agree that a full week might be too much just in Amed, unless you also add the Tulamben dive sites.

As has been said, don't miss the Japanese wreck (which isn't recognisable as a boat, just large lumps in the sand), I like the shallow swim out over the rocks; plenty to see even before the back of your head is submerged :cool2:

As with so many things, it really depends on what you are looking for. the Japanese wreck was my least favourite site during my visit to Amed - and we had it all to ourselves bar two snorkelers for about 10 minutes. It's probably worth doing but if you're after macro and muck, there are much better areas. Don't spend any time on the reef going out, head straight for the reef to the left as there are beautiful fans & sponge everywhere. Sepnd your wreck time on the way back coz it's super shallow & great for off-gassing :) And it's not that far out - pretty much every Amed shop will take you there for no extra charges.

Jemeluk Wall was awesome and I did it a couple of times - will do it again when I'm back in a couple of weeks; good sized stuff & tiny macro critters. Lipah was outstanding and definitely worth several dives. Dream Reef was filled with stuff to watch and photograph. There are several other Amed sites that I can't remember but that I do remember had a nice variety of critters.

Shops will also take you to Melasti & Seraya (as well as sites in Tulamben), if you'd like. Definitely worth a day's diving at Melasti/Seraya area if you are into super macro & muck.

Unfortunately, I only have about four days of diving the Amed area but I could easily do a week there. All depends on what kind of diver and/or photographer you are.

Right, it all depends on what you want.

Since my wife is not diving, she would like to enjoy a nice swimming pool and good massage, maybe stay in lipah that we can walk to different restaurants within a few minutes, which resort is recommended?

I stayed at Beten Waru last time and the view is great as is the pool. Room was quite comfy. Staff were friendly & helpful. Wifi worked well after a small hiccup at the start. Not a resort; bungalows with a good pool area. Beer available onsite, no bar. Restaurant was fine to quite good. Really good restaurants only a minute or three to the right.

I'm trying something different this trip so will have to see what I think - Wawa Wewe II.

Back
Top Bottom