Bulging disc L-5 and sciatic nerve issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the suggestion for the Orthopedic is for epidural injection of steroid onto or into the bulging disc. It's not bad enough that I would consider surgery without at least trying the injection first.

I have been doing various exercises on the floor and I'm not to sure I could handle a PT working me over it doesn't take much "wrong" movement to shock that nerve.

I'll report back what the doc says on the 5th.

Vacation is on the 15th-19th and I already missed my end of July chance to go to Panama City or a Florida spring to dive due to this issue...It was bad enough then to not even consider it.

Mike

Always try the least invasive methods first, but if PT doesn't help then only surgery can help. I ruptured my L4-L5. PT and injections did nothing. Surgery fixed me in a day (even though I still needed PT to rebuild and strengthen my core afterward).

I'm not going to offer medical advice, just a word of caution. A bulged disc is already damaged, walking or carrying dive gear could push it over the edge. But then again, just bending over or standing up could rupture it.

Ricky B, as a former surgeon, I object to that characterization. I loved to operate, but was never happier than when I could tell a patient there was a nonoperative strategy we could use instead, and I think most orthopods are similar. There is good literature to say that proper patient selection results in much better outcomes from back surgery; the days of operating on all comers are well behind us.

I wasn't implying anything improper. First, I assume most surgeons like surgery, and second, most surgeons work on a fee-for-service basis. It is pretty much a truism that people like being paid to do what they like to do. So there are two natural biases at work. There is nothing wrong with either of those biases. But patients need to take into account the natural bias of those they consult with when they make decisions. They should realize that a surgeon might not push a patient to pursue a non-surgical option as much as a non-surgeon might.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as fire_diver. PT/injections didn't fix the problem, so I had a microdiscectomy, actually against my back surgeon's suggestion. Given that most of my pain was in my back, he didn't think I was a good candidate for the surgery fixing anything.

I've had to rebuild core strength and am still on a weight-lifting/carrying limit but feel better. Mainly, I can stand up straight, and also sit again which is amazing. How I get around the weight limit is by going sidemount - I can handle the wetsuit (which is like a nice back/joint brace in the chilly waters here) and everything including my bc with weights in it on land, except for the tanks. I have someone give me tanks, and take them away from me at the end of the dive, in the water. The only tanks I own are 40s, which I sidemount doubles, if going from shore. Off of a boat, they provide 80s. Not letting how much I weigh creep up so I don't have to add more lead is a positive side effect of the back problems too.

I am very surprised at reading most recommendations.
Anyone with a serious on going health condition should not be allowed to dive for he is not only a danger to himself but and to others as well...
The choppy ride on the boat, getting in and out of gears, the squeezing pressure of the BC, water temperature differences might give him serious cramps, paralysis and then what? ?? Another thread about A Diving Accident? ??

Back
Top Bottom