Bangka/Lembeh solo in December/Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will be tight, but if you don't make it you don't make it. Singapore's Changi Airport is not a bad place to be stuck for a few hours until Singapore Air (Who is also very good) get you going again. There are a number of lounges and transit hotels where you can buy a private room with a single bed and get a shower for about $50 US for 4 or 5 hours. Free wifi everywhere, parks, free movie theatre, good food...

We flew Manado to Singapore to Denpasar with a very tight connection... Manado to Singapore was on Silk (left on time) and Singapore to Denpasar was on Singapore Airlines. We were able to convince them to check our bags all the way through - took some asking and getting a manager involved but it worked. I can't decide for you if 90 minutes is enough to make you comfortable, but I would recommend you factor in what's happening with your bags and whether or not you need to leave the secure area.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2014 at 07:29 PM ----------

And when we were there (end of July) transit hotel was about $75 USD for 6 hour block. And yes, I would expect the airline to help with your missed connection if you do fail to make the plane.

Silk Air is Singapore Air. Silk Air arrives in Terminal Two at Changi. You cannot collect baggage until you go through immigration in Singapore, which you won't. All three terminals are linked via train. You won't have to go through immigration and collect your bag. There is a reason Changi is the best airport in the world. Still, if you are still unsure, call SA in New York and ask.

Silk Air is Singapore Air.

Sort of. Silk Air is a subsidiary of Singapore Air. Singapore Air is part of the Star Alliance, while Silk Air is not. The fact that they "are sort of the same" is how we were able to get our bags transferred from one to the other, no problem. But no Aeroplan points for Silk Air, darn it!

Silkair runs like clockwork and have travelled twice on way back with only an hour gap and it's been fine.

That is very reassuring. Obviously anything can happen when traveling but your answers have made me more at ease.

This trip will have to wait until next year. Couldn't pull it off this year. I'll be heading to Belize instead. Your advice was not lost on me though....just set back a year!
Thanks again for all your help and when I finally do go I will be sure to post a report, in the meantime I look forward to all of your tantalizing reports and photos!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom