Hoseless computer alone or with backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It amazes me that it's considered smart to carry 2 cutting instruments, a backup light, a second computer, etc. - just in case. But people argue that you don't need an SPG with an AI computer because that's what the AI is for. What??? Guess what? Air, and knowing how much I have is pretty much key, at least to me. If you want to trust technology to never fail, then go right ahead. Personally, continuing to carry the SPG (which I've done since cert) isn't a problem. Moreover, the analog SPG is far more reliable than anything with a battery.

I'm totally with you on this. I also think that WAI is very unreliable (in my personal experience).

However, I will point out that if you drop your cutting instrument or your light breaks and then you need one, you could definitely end up with a serious, life-threatening problem. A device to give you tank pressure isn't in the same category - if it breaks, you ascend.

Tech divers doing dives with deco obligation should have a pretty good idea of how much gas they have at any time without an SPG, and divers doing no-ceiling dives should always have enough gas for a direct ascent to the surface, so in neither case is the loss of pressure information life threatening.

And while tech divers are careful to carry a backup for any necessary item, it's pretty standard to have a single SPG for each gas supply - which means one for a set manifolded doubles.

Similar thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...s/400683-spg-necessary-wireless-computer.html

Just keep the SPG on a short hose (try 24") clipped with a SS bolt snap to your left D-Ring run underneath your arm. Hopefully you will never need it, but it saved a few dives for me.
*I have lost signal two times in high magnetic areas. Weird but it was strong enough to throw my compass off. (drydiver...yes, my nav skills need work :)
*I have had the PSI reading freeze once on a dive in Greece. Only happened once. But I didn't have to cut the dive short thanks to the SPG.
*Great for checking PSI in tanks without starting your dive computer.

I love my transmitter and find them extremely reliable, but the SPG has payed for itself on the few dives when needed. Also no need to worry about batteries.

Be safe.

After having my AI Cobra 3 fail on my first dive during the Invasion this year and having to rent another computer and an SPG, I now dive with both a brand new AI Cobra 3 and a WAI Suunto D9. I have not had any trouble with the wireless transmitter and if I ever do, I have my other computer as a backup. I always take my computers in for a battery check well in advance of any trips in case my LDS has to send them off for battery replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom