OW want to dive in NorCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Dear all scuba lovers, I need some advice on whether I should dive in NorCal or not.

I will be on a 2-week trip to NorCal in May 2015, I am thinking to spend a day or two to dive. But the thing is I got my OW and had only a few diving experience in Asia, Hong Kong, where there is relatively much less challenges and much saver compare to any other dive sites around the world.

So it would be nice if someone can share their diving experiences in NorCal and give me some advice on this. Thanks!

Monterey is your best bet, and I would recommend a charter boat or a guided dive to begin. The environment is challenging for newcomers (cold, current, waves). The charter I can remember is Monterey Express and they run a good outfit. The boats are full and no-nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You ask should you dive in Norcal? That's your call only you know your experience level. Your profile is rather empty of any clues even. But...

As Playmore put it, cold, current, and waves. They are all on the table here. The first is guaranteed the others are variable. The requisite exposure protection sort of amplifies everything; less flexibility, more lead, etc.

Monterey is a good bet, especially if this will be your first time in cold water. A charter boat is a great choice too, but I think the Express is no longer running. I've gone out on the Sanctuary and enjoyed the operation, going with them again this Saturday. They do offer a guide (paid) which is a great idea for first timers.

If you are budget-squeezed and looking for shore dives, on a week day the breakwater is a good place to dive. No different on weekends except then as my instructor intoned many years ago, "It looks like Dunkirk". A difficult place to get lost, too.

Edited to say: Everyone should dive Norcal, if it's within their capabilities. It's beautiful down there.

Be sure to check out the excellent information posted by a very avid Monterey diver: New Monterey Diver Information

Diving in cold, dark water with a ton of lead and very thick exposure protection is whole different animal than what you experienced in warm, clear water with minimal weight and exposure protection.

It's really good diving, but you have to take it seriously.

I highly recommend a guided shore dive to start, as you'll have a much better opportunity to get your weighting down, etc.

I highly recommend a guided shore dive to start, as you'll have a much better opportunity to get your weighting down, etc.
As someone who dives in Northern California I agree with that statement 100%. Shore diving will help since you are ascending slower and can control your buoyancy better. Plus our local dive boats do not put a DM in the water with you. Here you are in charge of your own dive.

If you can go during the week, hire a DM and get them to take you for a tour of Point Lobos.

Monterey is your best bet, and I would recommend a charter boat or a guided dive to begin. The environment is challenging for newcomers (cold, current, waves). The charter I can remember is Monterey Express and they run a good outfit. The boats are full and no-nonsense.

Unfortunately, Monterey Express went out of business some time back. But here is a link to other boats:

Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats

Thanks for the update on M Express...it's been too long I now realize :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom