Ditching the Splits: What now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollis F1 are not as negative as a Jet Fin though.

Hey there BBeall, first of all, I will agree with Peter Guy, the Mares (correct spelling) Power Plana's are the way to go. Disclaimer, yes I use them, and yes I sale them. But with that being said, out of your list, I have used 3 of the fins listed. The Hollis F1 / F2 and the Scuba Pro Jet Fins. I would say, keeping on topic to your question of the ones listed, I prefer the Hollis F1's. I have used them for several years. Down side is they are extremely heavy. So fin kick pattern makes a difference. An individual's body type / athletic ability makes a difference too, when using heavier fins (not to mention the type of diving you do, be it drysuit diving, tech diving, drift diving, public safety diving, or even salvage diving). In your area, my suggestion would be ask some local divers, or even you local dive shop, to see if you can rent or borrow a pair and see how you like them before you make a purchase. Diving is much like any other sport (I will use shooting sports to make the point), most shooters over time collect many holsters that come obsolete, or does not meet the criteria they are looking for. So they have a whole drawer full of them. In diving, the same goes with gear (fins). If you stay in this sport long enough, you will have a closet full of fins. It’s always good to try before you buy if possible. Ask around you may be surprised at how many local divers will let you borrow or demo gear. As far as your trim goes (not being able to lift your legs to fix trim), I would suggest changing your trim with your weights (relocating the weights be it hard or soft), such as what you would learn in a Buoyancy class or even a Sidemount class. You would also be surprised at how much difference it makes putting weights on tank cam straps or even in other areas (clip on weights on shoulder D-rings or even zip tied to should straps). Hope this helps.

One last thing, the Mares X-streme fins, are extremely light weight and very powerful, if the diver does not over kick them. They do tend to be slightly difficult to frog kick with, but with a little practice, it can be mastered. If you were near Taylorsville, NC, I would be more than happy to let you try all 3 (Mares Power Plana, Mares X-streams, and Hollis F1's). But definitely check with local divers in your area and see if they will let you try what they have.

Last edited:
I have no trouble frog kicking with the Mares X Streams. Still trying to master the back kick but can do all others. Perhaps it didn't appear difficult to master because i never tried it with a harder fin. Learned with Mares Volos. Before that had a hard Sherwood paddle fin but was into the Volo's before mastering frog kick, etc.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies!

I really like what I see with the Dive Rite XTs. They're lighter, stiff, and come with standard spring straps. Can anyone else comment with some personal experience they've had with these?

Lake Hickory Scuba, I'm sure the Mares have similar characteristics to the fins already discussed, but from what I've read of them, they are fairly heavy and this has been a problem for me. My feet sink despite experimentation with multiple weight arrangements. I need something light(er) and stiff for multiple kicking styles.

The reason I've posted here is because I would really like to hear some personal experiences with various types of paddle fins before I go ahead and buy something. I'm not searching for the holy grail of fins that will suit every dive and setup; those just don't exist. What I am looking for is honest pros and cons on fins that people have tried or owned. The best scenario would be for me to try them out, I know, but the market here is saturated with nearly everything but what I'm looking for. Any recommendation is welcome and I appreciate it.

BBeall, Just so you know, here is a video demo of the Mares X-streams, describing what you seem to be looking for. A rigid fin, minus the weight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUqoz9ZIszE&list=UUoLgWYp_hibo8SsGwkBLp4A. Here is a video on the Power Plana's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oXF_Ie5RO8. Once again I'm not saying run out and by you a pair, just trying to give you info. Believe me, if you can try before you buy, it makes a big difference and saves money. Best of luck in your search, you definitely came to the right place (scubaboard), to get some ideas.

I think the OP mentioned considering a cavern class. The Xstreams aren't very suitable for that; their design is a line trap.

I like my poseidon jetfins. Not too terribly heavy but enough to keep my feet neutral with my drysuit.

OMS Slipstreams are still my favorite, but I guess they're currently not available. The Dive Rites are fine, though, although not quite as compact. If I needed a heavier fin to trim out a set of doubles, the Jets are still my choice, although these days my one set of doubles is just gathering dust in the garage.

I have the hollis f1s. Great fins, but I would avoid them if weight is a concern. They are very heavy and very negative in the water. I switched to sidemount and I now have to give them up.

One fin not on your list that should be is the Dive Rite XT fins. Stiff/snappy paddle fins. Great for all kicks, great for sidemount because they are a lot less negative in the water.

SP Jets are nice but also very negative. An alternative would be OMS slipstreams. Similar shape and profile, but the material is near neutral in the water.

I would also avoid the gorillas. They are also long and designed more for flutter kicks.

Hollis F2's - haven't tried them but not too favorably reviewed from what I have seen.

I could have written that list in those exact words.

Faced with the need for lighter fins myself, I picked up a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro Plus. I have not used them a great deal yet, but I am happy with them so far. Right now I am using the Hollis F1s with a dry suit and the Mares with a wet suit. I may switch to the Mares for dry suit while side mount--I am too new in that to be sure.

If you are still considering the Jets, I have a pair of XL with spring straps I can give you for a really good price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom