"Does This Island Go To The Bottom?" A novel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, the printed version is full of misspelling and grammar also.

Thanks BRT, I'm going to dig deeper now, not sure what happened. I know the printed copy I have there is a very noticeable deference. I think I know what happened now.

Eric

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 02:31 PM ----------

Thanks Fisheater!

Eric

Thanks BRT, I'm going to dig deeper now, not sure what happened. I know the printed copy I have there is a very noticeable deference. I think I know what happened now.

Eric

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 02:31 PM ----------

Thanks Fisheater!

Eric

I still bought and enjoyed the book!

@Eric: I downloaded the book and will read it. But as to the misspellings: you make them in this thread too. Even I, as a Dutchman, see them.
And I know it is hard to do it right because I have written a book (on a professional subject) too and the first time around I had 600 mistakes in 200 pages of text. So maybe you should let someone proof read it and correct it.

Grabbed the book as I knew I would have a lot of downtime this week. It was a quick and enjoyable read, it also made me question what profile or funny name any of my instructors/DM have had for my wife and I. All in all, a fun read for anyone interested in the caribbean DM/instructor world. Shakespeare it is not, but who cares. As to the spelling/grammar mistakes, yes they are present but not enough IMHO to make it unenjoyable as a quick read.

I read this book almost in its entirety and it is not for the faint of heart. Disturbing on so many levels. A rather sobering view on the scuba industry and dive 'professionals' narrated by the author.

That actually makes it sound more interesting...

I'm still on the fence though.

UPDATE: I bought the Kindle version. Now if I can just pry it away from the wife...

I read this book almost in its entirety and it is not for the faint of heart. Disturbing on so many levels. A rather sobering view on the scuba industry and dive 'professionals' narrated by the author.
I read too, but I don't agree with you, 'professionals' narrated ?

I read the book this weekend. It took almost 6 hours and was a great way to kill some windshield time. It was an interesting read, but no real surprises. Nothing shocking or disturbing about it. In fact, it was kinda tame.

I would have liked more detail here and there, and it sometimes jumped dramatically from one chapter to the next. It was hard to follow the timeline, when one chapter would seem to cover a single day or week and the next would seem to cover a month or maybe a year. It was impossible to figure out if the events took place over 3 months or a year, but I suppose it really doesn't detract from the storyline.

I would have like more detail on the finances/mechanics. How does one go from working out of a shop on St. Thomas to spending months on a cruise ship and flying back from Ft Lauderdale for example. When cruise passengers get tanks filled on-shore at the request of an instructor that works for a third-party, who pays for that? Things like that...

It's a good, easy read. Yes, there are some typos, but it's not the type of book where it matters. It's conveying a story in an authentic way. A great way to kill some time, but it's not a how-to book if you're thinking of running away to the islands.

bought it read it not impressed. but that's ok different strokes you know

I bought it today and read it today. I liked it, sounds like it was a great lifestyle for a young single guy. Hope the author is happy, it sure sounds like he is.

Back
Top Bottom