A dab of silicone grease on hose fittings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When connecting hoses to first or second stages, would it be a good idea to put a dab of silicone grease on the threads?

I know that some threaded fasteners should be lubricated to achieve the correct torque, and for others, the torque spec assumes the fastener is dry.

Are there any shop manuals that expressly address lubrication of hose fittings being connected to regulators? Is there a general custom of not lubing the fittings?

No No No. Never use silicone lube!!!!!!!!
Always use Cristolube just incase some idiot mistakenly uses that reg on Nitrox or heaven forbid Oxygen!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reg Manuals and Diagrams are much much different. You miss out on the lube specifics, torque specs, and adjustment procedures if you just get the Blow-Up Diagrams that are found on the internet.

Diagrams are indeed different, but there are a lot of actual full manuals out there for the taking. If he's got a common reg there are a handful of sites that maintain a database of manuals for download for free.

I agree with the practice of only a light film on the o-ring, preferably Christo-Lube or another O2 compatible grease. I always cringe on excess grease on anything, it migrates to unintended places and causes unwanted effects.
The trick is to find a friend who has acquired $40 tube of Christo-Lube (or a $150 tube of Krytox 240 AD) and bum a 1/4 oz dab in a small container, which will last most people many years.

Thanks for the responses. The reg is a HOG D1. I downloaded a manual (for EDGE, but I think it's the same for HOG), it says in "NEVER apply any type of lubricant to any part of the regulator or cylinder valve." I take this to mean that applying a dab of grease of any kind to, say, the threads of the SPG hose or the threads of the LP inflator hose where those hoses attach to the first stage is not recommended.

Always use Cristolube just incase some idiot mistakenly uses that reg on Nitrox or heaven forbid Oxygen!!!!!!!!

I'm the only idiot that uses my regulators and I use them on both air and nitrox, no problems. Next someone will be cautioning not to use silicone if you're diving deeper than 130fsw because the pp of O2 in air at that depth is almost 1atm!

That is the manufacturer's mantra since they have to worry about the idiots who are out there. People who service their own equipment (hopefully) do not have this concern.

Personally, I use silicone for both internal and external O-rings--both dynamic and static and have for many years. For O-rings which are truly static (yoke valve o-ring for example) I use no lube. For o-rings which are semi-static (static when in place such reg end of hose) I use just a very light sheen of silicone. For O-rings which are dynamic, I use varying amounts of silicone. I never grease internal threads, but do use a bit of silicone on yoke screw threads.

Even though I never use nitrox mixes greater than 38%, I do use oxygen clean valves on all dedicated nitrox tanks since they MAY be filled by partial pressure blending. I try not to make the simple complicated.

Forget silicone grease. The O-Rings will greatly benefit from the smallest amount of O2 Lube or any other oxygen safe lubricant. *expensive*

+1 Silicone is only for breast implants. :tmi2:

Silicone is NOT O2 compatible. Use an O2 compatible lubricant - Christolube or an equivalent.

You definitely should clean the threads and then apply a small amount of lubricant EVERY time you remove/replace a hose. However, these days I'd recommend that you use CrystoLube (sp?) or other O2 safe lubricant.

Back
Top Bottom