Automatic tipping for to-go orders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much are Pizza's at Rumrunners anyway? $40? $50? So we're having this angst and discussion over $4-5?

Yet you gladly paid $25 to check your bag on the flight over. To an airline likely posting record profits because of it.

And gave the porter at the check-in counter at your origin that much or more to do his job...

If we assume the OP was there for a week it's a moot point now anyway since he went home last Saturday...:D

I'm not sure why you would equate someone sneaking a charge onto your credit card with paying a fee. I'm sure nobody wants to pay either, but one is a clearly stated fee charged by a company. The other is theft.

I guess on a $2K relaxing vacation I just don't sweat the small stuff.

Because if I did then every cab ride I've ever taken (or been taken on a ride for) I'd have to know the route in advance to know if they weren't padding the meter by a couple bucks also. And the fare structure their government requires them to use. Except in most places there isn't one.

And check every dinner tab to be sure they did all the calculations correctly.

And count drinks at the bar to make sure they didn't slip an extra charge in on me or my friends - we frequently pool everything on one bill.

IMO life's too short to get all bent out of shape over $5.

Have to agree with kelemvor here. It's one thing if it was an included charge that wasn't caught ahead of time, but if it was done after the fact and over what the signed receipt was for, there is no reason not to sweat it, regardless of how small the charge was. By not sweating "small stuff," it just perpetuates the notion that it's an acceptable practice.

Last year in Grand Cayman, after reading over the hotel bill at checkout, there was two charges for using the telephone. It only amounted to a few dollars, but I did not pick up the telephone once. It was removed and all parties left satisfied. Had I let it go, I would've been indefinitely perturbed.

How much are Pizza's at Rumrunners anyway? $40? $50? So we're having this angst and discussion over $4-5?

Yet you gladly paid $25 to check your bag on the flight over. To an airline likely posting record profits because of it.

And gave the porter at the check-in counter at your origin that much or more to do his job...

If we assume the OP was there for a week it's a moot point now anyway since he went home last Saturday...:D

No, I didn't pay $25 to check my bag. No, I didn't pay a porter at the check-in counter at my origin for doing his job.

Sorry to have caused you, or anyone else, to have any angst. However, I think your missing my point. It's not about the money per se, but the fact that it wasn't authorized.
I didn't know if this is customary on Bonaire, and thought I would inquire on SB about it.

I tried to stop by there to inquire about the charges before leaving, but my dive buddy had other plans for me.

You can easily email them and have the discussion:
rumrunners <rumrunners@habitatbonaire.com>

You keep saying "authorized." Did you sign a CC bill?
Did the restaurant bill say 10% would be added? If you don't know, I think it is Game Over.

I guess on a $2K relaxing vacation I just don't sweat the small stuff.

Not a personal comment to diversteve, but in general, I get really tired of hearing this. It's not small stuff. It's getting ripped off, and if you would not accept that treatment if you were not on vacation, WHY on earth should it be acceptable just because you are?

To the OP, good luck clarifying your issue. I hope you're able to resolve in a satisfactory manner.

kari

You can easily email them and have the discussion:
rumrunners <rumrunners@habitatbonaire.com>

You keep saying "authorized." Did you sign a CC bill?
Did the restaurant bill say 10% would be added? If you don't know, I think it is Game Over.

Yes, I signed a credit card bill. No where on the restaurant or CC bill does it mention that there will be an additional 10% charge.

An interesting side note is that I also paid by CC for a to-go order from Bobbejans -- no additional 10% charge there. In fact I had overpaid, but didn't know it. While waiting, the waitress approached us and gave me the amount I was overcharged in cash with an explanation. Very cool...and yes, I tipped her 20+%!

If I hadn't been paying attention to my bills, I would have also paid for someones DoRag and DoSocks. Apparently a diver had charged those items to my wifes dive account in the dive shop. Getting that taken off was a little challenging.

Back
Top Bottom