Three dead and one in recompression chamber in Italy, Tuscany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But then there are still homes in America without Smoke Alarms and most don't have CO Alarms, and they are so cheap! I like one in every bedroom, plus living areas.
My cousin just lost two of his kids in a house fire. They were very young, and unable to escape from the upstairs. By the time the parents realized the house was on fire it was too late to get to them as the house was engulfed.

I have smoke detectors/CO alarms in the bedrooms and one in the hallway. Well I did until last weekend when one of my Nests alerted me that it had "failed". Gotta get a replacement under warranty. i wanted a smoke alarm that sends me a text so if I am not home I can at least call the fire department. Assuming it isn't my router or modem that starts the fire :p The Nest system will also shut the heater down in the event of a CO alert. Although I am switching my heating to hydronic with solar, and probably going with a heat pump. No more flames.

... So many professionals are still stubbornly not supporting the needed actions..

You appear old enough to remember when Nitrox was 1st widely being marketed by the professionals. All the name calling, Voodoo stickers, and nay-sayers. Now-a-days, you don't even have to do a dive to get the cert.

CO testing will come around eventually and in 5 year's we'll look back and shake our heads on how crazy it was not to test every tank. There will be Iphone apps that ping every RFID Tank Chip owner that a compressor was pumping bad gas and green / red LED lights for GO/NO-GO built in to the valve with LCD pressure readout screens. Till then, everyone needs to keep posting all their bad gas readings to raise awareness that it can happen to them.

Fabio,
Dove vivi a Roma? Ho Vissuto in Italia fina ad anni 18. San Paolo…. Mandami un messagio inbox cosi ti posso mandare un friend request. Facebook sarebbe ideale. **Thanks to both Dandydon and Fabio for the input on the O2 analyzer. That is the next purchase I am going to make. ..

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 10:27 PM ----------

Peter_C Sorry to hear bout your loss.

Peter,
Terribly sorry to hear about the innocent children's fate and your cousin. RIP poor souls.

All,
I am sorry if I missed the details in an earlier post somewhere - was CO being monitored at the compressor where these tanks were being filled? Was it a procedural error resulting from negligence or a faulty CO monitor or was it a case of plain "don't need a CO monitor"?

Pearlman

LOL more speculation by totally unqualified people, it wasn't CO if it had been, the survivor would not have improved from recompression and he would have gotten worse and died.

This was an uncontrolled ascent with some Embolism or probably many. Who knows where each one was when they started their final ascent, the guy who survived either came up slower or from a lower depth.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2014 at 11:40 AM ----------

You can take a deadly hit of CO and live for some time, but prognosis is horrible

it wasn't CO if it had been, the survivor would not have improved from recompression and he would have gotten worse and died.

First, he could have gotten himself bent while ascending too fast due to fleeing the effects of CO...which would obviously improve from recompression. Second, CO poisioning itself can't be cured by recompression but its symptoms can - I'll let such an intelligent person as yourself work out how a higher ppO2 might cause that.

Last edited:
I met and dived with the buddy of a person who had died of an embolism the year before. What caused it? He was diving along peacefully when he suddenly seemed alarmed and started a panicked ascent. The panicked ascent and embolism were technically the cause of death, but it was actually something else that killed him.

He had been out of diving for several months because of a broken bone, and when he returned to diving, he did a deep (max 170) dive with his doubles, which he remembered as having been filled with air. They were analyzed later and found to be filled with 36% nitrox. He had not analyzed them because he was sure they had air only. He had been diving with 36% for nearly 20 minutes at depths between 150-170 feet before making his fatal panicked ascent. Everyone assumes that he had experienced one of the warning signs of approaching CNS toxicity, realized what was happening, and tried to get to a shallower depth as quickly as he possibly could to prevent a seizure.

So technically he died of an embolism from a rapid ascent, but the real cause was the gas he was breathing before that.

I am sorry if I missed the details in an earlier post somewhere - was CO being monitored at the compressor where these tanks were being filled? Was it a procedural error resulting from negligence or a faulty CO monitor or was it a case of plain "don't need a CO monitor"?

Pearlman
About this, there is investigation going on.
AAccording with the news, the forth diver has been saved, because who rescued him, provided oxygen, and they moved him to hyperbaric chamber, this diver wasn't with the other three but with a different group, the only thing in common were the tanks :(
Really sad story, hope we may learn how to prevent those fatalities.

LOL more speculation by totally unqualified people, it wasn't CO if it had been, the survivor would not have improved from recompression and he would have gotten worse and died.

This was an uncontrolled ascent with some Embolism or probably many. Who knows where each one was when they started their final ascent, the guy who survived either came up slower or from a lower depth.

Why then would hyperbaric oxygen therapy be used in the treatment of CO poisoning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom