Peeing in a geoprene wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The color of your urine will tell you if you are hydrated or not.... Urine should be clear and have no yellow tint to it... At that point the pee in the suit will not smell or cause any problem... Like was said earlier... Flush the wetsuit by opening the zipper or pulling open the neck.... Or just wait till after the dive and flush it good with the hose...

If your urine is yellow to dark orange it will " SMELL " Then don't pee in the suit....:wink:

Jim...

Ah, the quarterly pee thread.

put a condom cath on and run a tube down one of your legs so it goes out below your ankle

I too have had good results with this for some of our extended dives. I do find that the tube breaks the leg seal and admits some water. In our case these are mild water dives and sometimes the circulation is actually welcome. It's nice to hydrate liberally, whiz as desired and peel the suit off and not smell fermented.

Being totally unvalved I have never had a need to prime. Do make sure it's laid in with with no twists or kinks. A little suit snot lets you manipulate the tube so it's just right.

Pete

I take pet urine remover on dive trips to spray my suit. I suppose I could mix a bit with some water and pour it inside before entering? I just figure that almost all divers pee in their suits, but most of it rinses out ok. I never go barefoot anywhere tho.

It will drain when you step out of the water.
Just bring an heavy duty jug of water to rinse yourself off after the dive. The Arizona Tea gallon jugs are study enough to last for years of harsh use in this matter.
Stay hydrate so you don't get the smell of coffee piss when you doff your suit.

I don't think geoprene is much different from skin-in suits that freedivers and Heatwave Santa Cruz suits use.

And for the love of sanity, don't pee when you're laying flat on the water's surface. Unless you like a warm feeling creeping up into your hood and into your ears.

Last edited:
From reading the link above, assuming it is accurate, it seems like the geoprene would absorb LESS pee than traditional neoprene currently does:

"

1. 98% Water Impermeable – Geoprene, which is made from limestone, is 98% water impermeable! This is a huge improvement over petroleum-based neoprene which is only 65% water impermeable.
  2. Low Water Absorption – Normal wetsuits absorb significantly more water than those made with Geoprene. If you jump in the water with an old neoprene wetsuit, when you get out you’ll notice that the suit is much heavier. This is because of all the water that it absorbs. Geoprene suits absorb almost no water at all and will be noticeably lighter after getting out of the water. "
"assuming it is accurate..." which it is not. this marketing BS does not pass the sniff test. neoprene is water proof, one of the reasons it is used for wetsuits. kind of means it is 100% water impermeable.

now if you have a fuzzy liner then that will likely soak stuff up. your seams may also soak up a few drops. very old damaged suits may have some small cracks that would hold a few more drops.

urine (like water) simply coats the outside surface of the neoprene, it is not absorbed by the neoprene.

And for the love of sanity, don't pee when you're laying flat on the water's surface. Unless you like a warm feeling creeping up into your hood and into your ears.

And how do you know that would happen?

:rofl3:

I don't get the fear of peeing in a wetsuit. It's wet already! And it's nice and warm. Stink? I haven't noticed in any wetsuits I've used, and they have mostly been resort-provided wetsuits which, I am sure, were worn by divers who were not as fastidious as the posters in this thread.

As far as clear urine, that's never happened in my lifetime so far as I've noticed. Light yellow is the best I can do, and then I'm going every two hours. This from Wikipedia:

Colorless urine indicates over-hydration, generally preferable to dehydration (though it can remove essential salts from the body).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

So I don't know that shooting for clear urine is a good idea.

Wetsuits made of rock. What won't they think of next?

The poor man's Titanium I guess.

There's gotta be another reference here about a cow peeing on a flat rock, but it escapes me just now.

And how do you know that would happen?

:rofl3:

I don't want to talk about it! :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom