Shingles + diving liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only person I knew with shingles experienced extreme, fall on the ground and scream, pain. I can't imagine what would happen if this occurred while diving.

DandyDon,

Since I already had a bout of shingles, six years ago, my immune system is mostly ready if it tries to occur again. One of the other posters said recurrence is on the order of 6.4%.

I get flu shots and I am considering the pneumonia shot. Want to check the risk factors on pneumonia to see if I am at higher risk for some reason.
I think the pneumonia vaccine is an excellent one. I still don't see why you're waiting on shingles vac, might as well get it, but ok.

I still don't see why you're waiting on shingles vac, might as well get it, but ok.

An immune reaction will normally fade with time. The immune reaction is strongest after the infection and thereafter it will decrease. In some people, an immune reaction will last a lifetime, and for others, not as long. All a vaccine does is create an immune reaction. Consequently, getting vaccinated while the immune reaction is already strong seems like the waste of a bullet. If the vaccination is done years later, the immune reaction may have started to fade so juicing it up with a vaccination will mean that the immune reaction will last that much longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom