How many have seen dolphins on their dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, mate - seen dolphins underwater five times in seven tears here in the Solomons. Six times if you count the pod of Orca a month ago... Never seen a whale shark, if that helps? :wink:

Orca would be amazing...and scary since I know so little about them. Bull sharks I am very cool with...orca...not so much. :) I do need to get back to Munda and Gizo ASAP.

Wow, I would much rather see an Orca than a Bull Shark. There are very few recorded wild orca attacks on humans (and I'm not sure any fatalities.)

It would be phenomenal to see a dolphin.
I just have my fingers crossed we'll get to snorkel with sea lions soon when we go to the Galapagos, and hope that maybe we'll see a penguin in the water.

We saw orcas in Galapagos. The folks in the other panga saw one during their dive, take out a hammerhead. You do not want to mess with the apex predators!

Last edited:
I dove with them in Belize and got it all with my gopro. If you go to youtube.com and search "windows2000bug" you can see one of my videos of them. I have never felt uncomfortable being around marine life, with the exception of a large Dolphin swimming to close for comfort and looking right at me. They were more curious than any other creature I have ever seen, short of domesticated animals. It looked like 2 or 3 females, one large male, and a small calf that the adults would help nudge to the surface. I am a cold water wreck diver, and that has to be my most exciting dive I have ever been on. They were swimming with us for at least 7 minutes, would have been longer, but the dive boat arrived and my brother decided to get a cramp in his leg. It was pretty odd seeing a 14yo boy helping out my 40yo+ brother.

We see them from time to time in NC during our SI. Never seen one in the water yet.

Last summer I was last one up from a dive and as is my style I came up at the far end of the safety rope near the float. I signaled ok to boat. Folks on boat were yelling and waving at me. I signaled ok a couple more times to them as I started to swim toward the boat. Get to boat to discover that they were trying to tell me to turn around and see a pod right behind me. :depressed::depressed::depressed:

I now have a special signal which I teach my buddies. It means "turn around stupid there is something cool right behind you"

I saw a pod of Orca in Alaska. I didn't get in the water with them though. The fishing went to hell as soon as they appeared, we ended up moving the boat to a different spot.

Twice in Roatan, though one was during surface interval so was only swimming with them. So curious and coming so close to me I was starting to get a bit nervous. Believe they were spinners. Then saw a large pod back on scuba but they were deep and moving fast. The sunlight was starring into the depths further complicating visual.

In Belize last year, two bottle nose dolphins joined our group. We all held our positions as the two went around and looked into each one of our eyes, checking us out thoroughly. Each of them took a good look at each one of us at least twice. They were with us for fifteen minutes at least. It was an incredible exhilarating experience. Blessed.

dolphin2.jpg

Yes quite a few times..in PNG, in French Polynesia had lots of dolphin love, here in western australia....still get a thrill every time I see them.

Like Wingy, Rangiroa. It's quite known for wild dolphin experiences for divers, different percentages of either just hearing them but not ever seeing them, just seeing them but at a distance or the major thrill of getting to play with them if they are in the mood. They also tend to make appearances above the surface playing in the waves in the two passes at each end of the island.

I find it amusing just to watch all the different techniques each dive master believes in as their personal dolphin attraction, as soon as they start hearing dolphin noises on the dive they start going into dolphin attraction mode, snapping fingers, clapping, making dolphin noises, swimming upside down....

Attachments

• dolphin1.jpg
    dolphin1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 106
+1 for French Polynesia, Rangiroa, Tiputa pass. Was bringing up the rear taking photos and sensed something behind me. Turned just in time to see a pod and the guy below zipped right up to my face. I just had enough time to raise the camera and snap before he sped off. Was magical! No one else saw them.
image006.jpg

We've been lucky enough to see them in a number of places. We saw pods frequently on our last Red Sea trip, but they never wanted to be very close to us. We had a good sized pod swim past us (we were actually in the middle of them) off Maui on one of our last trips there. But Rangiroa was magical -- that time, we dropped off the boat into a group of six or eight of them, and unlike all the others, they actually interacted with us. They stayed around for about five minutes, playing, until they decided we were just plain awkward and dumb. Then they took off down the reef and continued playing, if the fact that every puffer fish we saw for the next 15 minutes or so was puffed up was any indication.

Back
Top Bottom