How many have seen dolphins on their dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the way back to the dive shop in Salt Cay after our 2nd dive, Richard our wonderful DM, saw dolphins in the distance. We went over grabbed our snorkels and jumped in. Great to see them in the wild. It was also my wife's birthday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Four times in Cozumel. Twice at a distance and the dolphins were on a mission to go towards the channel. Once on the northern sites on the surface where they circled the boat very close right at the end of a dive after we got on the boat. And once where they stayed close to us UW for a few minutes. All sitings except the northern site were shallower sites and north of the Palancars.

I hear them quite frequently but have only actually seen them below the surface a dozen or so times. They play in the surf near La Jolla so you can find them buzzing the shallows sometimes. We unfortunately found one that had died and was being eaten by crabs there once as well - less cool. The best was probably on a deco hang around 20 feet deep on the wreck of the Infidel on the south side of Catalina island when a whole pod came through. That sure broke up the usual monotony.

We've seen dolphins from the boat, but not in the water. Yet.

We also spent an entire safety stop listening to whalesong, without their ever coming close enough to see.

Spinner dolphins swam overhead several times on the last trip to Kona. Last month one swam under me but I was swimming not diving. I've never seen one underwater while diving in California but it seems fairly common while swimming. That may be in part because we are both near the surface and visibility underwater is relatively poor here.

I've seen them underwater during dives both in California and Hawaii. The last time was when a large pod of them swam overhead while I scootered towards the mouth of Honokahou Harbor in Kona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had two or three dolphins playing on the surface and the first 10-15 feet of my dive out of Panama City Beach, Florida last Wednesday. It was my first time encountering and diving with dolphins in the wild and it was mesmerizing. I had my camera with me but decided to take in the moment rather than fiddle with the camera. :)

Snorkeled with Spinner Dolphin around Roatan. They were around the boat when we were moving to a new site between dives. The boat stopped we all grabbed snorkels and fins and jumped in.

I have been diving for 30 years. I have worked in South Florida, Fiji, the Solomon Islands, all over the Caribbean, and Indonesia. Heck, I lived on a canal on Fort Myers Beach where I saw wild dolphins out my window almost every day. I've seen hammerheads, whale sharks, tiger sharks, more mantas than I can count, manatees, dugongs, almost every cool macro thing you can imagine...the list goes on forever.

I have had the most fortunate diving life, but it drives me freakin' crazy that I have never seen a wild dolphin on scuba. Arrrgh.

Sorry, mate - seen dolphins underwater five times in seven tears here in the Solomons. Six times if you count the pod of Orca a month ago... Never seen a whale shark, if that helps? :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom