cutting down petrel straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched out to bungee. If I where to cut those I'd measure twice and cut once then heat the end. Fold it over and sew it with some braided fishing line. If you want to really go Tim Taylor on it then coat the folded in with a light layer of Aquaseal.

Late to the party but I did not like the elastic bands with the plastic buckles and like others replaced them with bungee cord. However, I added a cord lock so I could adjust mine as needed. The first shows the DSS compass mount - note the cord lock. The next image show my Petrel and compass on the same bungee system. I wear my Petrel on the inside of my wrist and the compass on the outside.
Works like a charm.
KICX2604.jpgKICX2605.jpg

I just threw on a couple of O-rings and stow the excess strap.

I tried stowing the straps by tucking them under, but my wrists are so small that this would cause the adjuster to release and the strap would not stay tight. SW was so nice that they sent me a complete set of their new straps that would not do this. I gave them a try for awhile but was annoyed with having the extra tail to deal with.

I finally went to the bungee method that so many people speak of and that seemed to work ok for a bit. The bungee would go to hell too soon for me and loos its elasticity. Going from a wetsuit to a drysuit was not as easy and I though it would be due to the added tension on my wrist with a drysuit.

I had heard from some old timers of a different method of surgical tubing and bought some off eBay to give a try but this really sucked. i went back to bungee again.

Bungee kept pissing me off by stretching out and needing replaced so I finally broke down and contacted an old timer to get some insight on surgical tubing. Turns out that I got the wrong stuff. I got some of the right stuff and have been happy as hell ever since. this works great for wetsuit, drysuit, and is super easy. I have been using it for 2 years and not one issue with it.

I'm like dhboner, I threw on a couple of o-rings and it works great. I've even saved a hike back up to the car for a buddy when he needed one of the o-rings.

Planning on doing this... just need to get off my duff and order to the velcro. Probably don't even need to sew it unless I can find someone that has a sewing machine.

IMG_2204.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom