Goliath Dive in Boynton gets even cooler on surface interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So while the big Goliath we were hanging out with today for 20 minutes was fun...on the surface Interval Captain Lynn Simmons of Splashdown sees some Sailfish fins on the surface, and drops me with mask, fins and snorkel to within about 100 feet if them....After about 4 minutes of swimming after them...they came to me :)
[video=youtube_share;wVzPTCKXrD0]http://youtu.be/wVzPTCKXrD0[/video]

Really neat. Nice when you get a 'bonus' on a trip.

Richard.
Thanks Richard,
I had always wanted to swim with Sailfish...this was actually the first time I got the chance!
These guys were hunting....one at about 20 feet down most of the time, the other 2 doing zig zags....the top 8 feet had lots of plankton in it, and they appeared to be looking for bait balls feeding that they could feed on. I was with them about 15 minutes, but they swim so fast, that most of the footage is so far out that it is useless to post on youtube....Still, just being able to see them is a huge thrill.

With any luck, we will get more of these sailfish in over the next month :)

My brother-in-law got to snorkel with dolphins during a surface interval. I am jealous of both of you.

Hi Dan,

What an exciting day. I've been diving Boynton Beach only about 5 years. Kevin has dropped me on mantas and dolphins but have not been lucky enought to swim with sailfish yet. We see them occassionally from the surface, perhaps next time will be my opportunity. You never know what you're going to see in wonderful SE FL. I may have my chance while down diving the 12th through the 17th. Regardless, I'm looking forward to my 3 dives on the Castor

Good diving, Craig

Hi Dan,

What an exciting day. I've been diving Boynton Beach only about 5 years. Kevin has dropped me on mantas and dolphins but have not been lucky enought to swim with sailfish yet. We see them occassionally from the surface, perhaps next time will be my opportunity. You never know what you're going to see in wonderful SE FL. I may have my chance while down diving the 12th through the 17th. Regardless, I'm looking forward to my 3 dives on the Castor

Good diving, Craig

Craig...try to dive with Sandra, Bill and I on either the Saturday or Sunday. We will be looking for big life, whether Goliaths, turtles, or more sailfish :)

I've seen sailfish many times while snorkeling in the area, however they never seem to hang around long and I've never gotten any good images.. They are pretty cool..

I've seen sailfish many times while snorkeling in the area, however they never seem to hang around long and I've never gotten any good images.. They are pretty cool..
You should come with us.....I can't promise we will find them again, but if you are familiar with Lynn Simmons, she has great eyes for finding stuff like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom