More Specific ID of a Sea Cucumber Requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archiebald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I managed to get this rather nice shot of my daughter examining this multicolored sea cucumber at Finger Reef in Apra Harbor, Guam last week.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for the common or scientific name of this type. Saw many of the more common black type of course, and a lesser number of these.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3431a.jpg
    IMG_3431a.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 167
I think that is Bohadschia graeffei, the Blackspotted Sea Cucumber.

-Mark

nice pic....thanks for sharing.

Although a number of sea cucumbers can be ID'ed by their morphology and pattern, some require examination of the calcium carbonate spicules embedded in their skin to be certain. I can't say anything about this specific one, but I have two unidentified sea cucumbers right here in SoCal waters that will require a spicule sample for positive ID.

There are many cucumbers out there that I would not attempt to identify. But this is one of the common ones, regularly seen on the kind of reefs scuba divers like in the South Pacific. And I haven't heard it to be part of a complex of look-alike species. But as an amateur, working from a photo, no I'm not certain of the ID.

-Mark

Thanks for the replies, I honestly had no idea there were so many variations.

Back
Top Bottom