Gallileo and MAC compatible IrDa??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoufr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm very happy with my new Gallileo Luna.

Slightly less happy with the fact that I'm on a MacBook Pro and it seems very tricky to find a IrDA USB compatible for MAC so that I can download my dives into the UWATEC JTRAC, and even more annoying that the Owners Information and Emergency Information can only be entered into the DC using the JTRAC.

So here's the question: anyone else with the same predicament who has found a MacBook Pro compatible USB/IrDa for the Gallileo Luna?

Many thanks, enjoy summer!
R

Hi Dawg,

Thank you for the reply. I know that the UWATEC IrDa works, but annoying to pay $90 for a simple IrDa dongle when there are plenty windows options available for $5 that do exactly the same thing... the problem being the OSX compatibility. However, I've done some more research and it seems that there are some protocols like the 7780 that works on OSX so I've ordered one on Amazon and will post here when I have it to report.

Secondly, why use LogTrak instead of J-Trak?

Very best,
R

I know that the UWATEC IrDa works, but annoying to pay $90 for a simple IrDa dongle when there are plenty windows options available for $5 that do exactly the same thing... the problem being the OSX compatibility. However, I've done some more research and it seems that there are some protocols like the 7780 that works on OSX so I've ordered one on Amazon and will post here when I have it to report.

If the one that you purchased has the same chipset in it as the ScubaPro/UWatec one, it should work fine with JTrak[* see below]. Don't worry about installing any drivers or anything though, JTRAK includes everything it needs on a Mac.

Secondly, why use LogTrak instead of J-Trak?

JTrak has been discontinued by ScubaPro a year or more ago and is now unsupported by them. Which doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work for you, however the author and ScubaPro will not support you if you have any questions or trouble with it. LogTRAK is their future and it works on both the PC and the Mac and up until h2oDawg's response above, it did not support any of the legacy IrDA dive computers like Galileo's. If you look at the ScubaPro website about LogTRAK right now, it talks only about Meridian (and presumably newer) dive computers. h2odawg says the IrDA support is "just released" so it must be pretty recent enough that the website doesn't mention it yet.

If the above ends up not working well for you, check out Dive Log Manager or DiveLogDT on the Mac App Store. It will download your Luna and works with compatible IrDA USB adaptors. And again, no drivers needed - everything needed is part of the application.

Janice

JTrak has been discontinued by ScubaPro a year or more ago and is now unsupported by them. Which doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work for you, however the author and ScubaPro will not support you if you have any questions or trouble with it. LogTRAK is their future and it works on both the PC and the Mac and up until h2oDawg's response above, it did not support any of the legacy IrDA dive computers like Galileo's. If you look at the ScubaPro website about LogTRAK right now, it talks only about Meridian (and presumably newer) dive computers. h2odawg says the IrDA support is "just released" so it must be pretty recent enough that the website doesn't mention it yet.

Here is a screen shot from Scuba Pro website were I found the information.
LogTrak.jpg
Hope It helps. Also, I have to agree with Janice on the DiveLog DT and Dive Log manager. I use them both and they work great for me too.

Good Luck

Dear All,

Thank you so much for the input! I've now tried it so let me offer some insights in return for others who may have the same thoughts / predicaments.

1. The IrDa chipset to work with Mac is the 7780 chipset. If you search on e.g. Amazon.com you'll find the branded Uwatec for $90 but look some more and you'll also find the OEM version which is exactly the same for $19! TO help, it's the one that looks a little like a lipstick with a cover for the usb connection and a red plastic bulb on the other end.

2. JTRAK works with Gallileo/Mac but I have only been able to get it to download the diver. I suppose that that's the primary idea, but it was a great frustration that it doesn't connect to allow you to input your OWNERS DATA and EMERGENCY DATA in the Personalization function. In the end, I had to use a PC for this (it's a great detail though as my Gallileo now has my name and email on the start-screen in case I lose it and someone is nice...).

I'll go check the other programmes that you guys advised on. Frakly, they cannot be worse than the JTRAK interface (which in my view looks like something an IT student in the 80's could have cobbled together...).

best,
R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom