Essentials for a save a dive kit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen three busted masks in the last couple of months!! We often rely on someone having a spare on the boat.
For me....a couple o-rings, an extra fin strap and thin bike (parker) wrenches does the trick.

I really keep an eye on my mask when im on the boat...go's in the reg bag right after i use t.

Last edited:
I put spring straps on my fins because they're pretty much unbreakable.

I agree. Hollis F1's for me. But I had an issue with straps on my first fins before and those were replaced. I have kept the remaining strap from that incident in my kit. Just two weeks ago, my buddy was about to call our second dive because his strap was splitting. When I handed him basically the exact strap he needed... Priceless!

When I dive in the USA I pretty much take all my dive gear including spare regs and such but my "save a dive" kit is actually rather small since there are several dive shops within a few miles and the boat I dive with carries spare o-ring, tools, etc. For dives out of the country, I do as others said, I make sure I have extras of anything that could kill the dive, tools, cable ties and a large supply of o-rings.

My minimum:
First aid supplies (bandaids, waterproof tape, gauze)
multi tool
o rings
LP and HP hose
mouth piece
paracord
adjustable wrenches
allen wrenches
zip tyes
flashlight.

What I take varies between home and travel.

For home, DIN O-rings, a ScubaTool, zipties, a set of Allen wrenches, a Pro valve insert, some cave line and some silicone lube seem to suffice.

Travel, I'm kind of with AJ, although I don't bring a whole spare regulator. I do bring a whole spare canister light if we are cave diving. Matches, a voltmeter, spare Anderson connectors, spare boltsnaps, spare inner tube, a spindle . . . the SAD kit has grown as the list of things which have delayed or prevented dives has lengthened.

What do you a voltmeter for?

Nobody mentioned Nautilus Lifeline VHF Radio.
What is the reason : not nessesary device, not popular, expensive ?
Not for diving in lake of couse, but sea and ocean.

Probably because that goes on your main kit, not in the save a dive bag.

I would add to the list a regular (or adjustable) wrench. The ones that are part of the scuba "multi tool" that all the diveshops sell are useless. The pick and screwdrivers and hex keys in the tool are good. When I tried to use the wrench to take a hose off someone's first stage on a boat we couldn't. The tools are fat, and the wrench isn't long enough for the handle to clear the first stage. At least that was the case with whatever reg we were trying to work on.

You can get crescent and adjustable wrenches in titanium or even plastic to save weight. The plastic ones might only be usable once or twice...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom