Missing in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sampsonshr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Noah Cullen went to Molasses reef on Monday to free dive he was alone. His boat was found sinking near Dixie Shoals and he is missing. Does anyone have any new info on this

oh no...bad news..........keep us informed.

The picture in the News article seems to show that the Main Sail was still deployed, suggesting that this was a boating accident as opposed to a diving accident.

The picture in the News article seems to show that the Main Sail was still deployed, suggesting that this was a boating accident as opposed to a diving accident.

Not sure, but it looked to me like it was reefed and lashed down. Not sure why that would be the case if he was sailing at the time.

Mike

Not sure, but it looked to me like it was reefed and lashed down. Not sure why that would be the case if he was sailing at the time.

Mike

Standard practice in bad weather is to reef down to avoid being overpowered while sailing, with a storm trysail in front for very heavy conditions. It really looks like a man-overboard situation - another standard practice in such conditions is the use of a jackline to keep you connected to the boat in case you go over, especially when out alone. Hoping for the best and really hoping he was wearing a PFD.

It does appear to be reefed down which only goes to indicate rough windy conditions. I agree that it looks like a MOB situation. Jacklines and PFD in this type of solo encountered conditions would be essential IMHO.

But I remember a sad statistic from my Boating Safety Certification (many eons ago), that >95% of MOB fatalities are not wearing a PFD.

2nd hand information I received from the spouse of a member of the key largo fire/rescue dive team(along with FWC, coast guard planes/vessels and numerous friends/family in private boats) actively involved in the search this morning and continuing now. apparently the sailboat was last observed @ French reef between 1130 and noon yesterday. storm with winds estimated @ 35kts blew thru around 1345 to 1400. the rescuers believe he is either still in the water swimming, suffered shallow water blackout or knocked overboard unconscious/injured. numerous storms with strong SW to W winds occurring offshore the upper keys most of the evening blowing anything further offshore, expanding the search area,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Many of you who have dove in Key Largo, may have met Noah. He had worked as a DM at SeaDwellers, and as a Capt. at Scuba Shack (now closed), and as Capt. at Key Largo Dive Center. Noah is a local kid who grew up on the water here. This is his back yard and I learned more about each of our reefs from his site briefings that I have from any other local capt.
Prayers for Noah and his family during this crisis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom