Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving at the ramp is good, you can go pretty deep in a relatively short distance, the down side is lugging all of your equipment. Getting a charter with Lake Jocassee Dive Shop will get you over to the wall and the Junk. There is quite a bit to see at the wall and you have the opportunity to dive deep. I haven't dove the ramp in a while, but go out to the junk quite a bit. The divemasters that go out there are quite knowledgeable of the wall and surrounding area.

What are the odds that you have a 3 mil shorty?

I see lots of people adding 3 mil shorties under their 5 mil. Hood and gloves are necessary below 60'.

Right now, 45-50 is where the first cold layer lives off the ramp. After that the normal 80-90 comes on kind of strong.

Sunday it was 82 at the surface, 75 at 50' and 72 at 90'. Visibility before the crowd got out there was 10' to 15' at 50' but got much better the deeper you went.

Upstate Scuba has a night dive charter to the Junk at Lake Jocassee on August 23rd. Meet at the shop at 7:00 PM Call the shop to signup and for more details. 864-653-3483

Is Jocassee total insanity on Labor Day Weekend? I just want to do some practice dives at the boat ramp. I'm guessing I should arrive nice and early.

I would get there early at the ramp as I am sure plenty of people will be there. It was super busy this past weekend!

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct that the park opens at 7 am?

End of the ramp is in 22-23' water. Temps near 80 on the surface and 76-77 around 40'. Vis 15-20'. Friendly fishes!

On Monday September 15, 2014. The end of the ramp was in 17' water and the water temp to 35' was around 75-76.

Back
Top Bottom