Advise needed: Galileo SOL vs LUNA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it includes the transmitter at €533 to be precise. It's now down from €730.

---------- Post added July 14th, 2014 at 06:35 PM ----------

the petrel, standalone, for comparison here in Europe is €1042...

Interesting that the Luna is higher-priced here in the US, while the Petrel is so much lower here. Perhaps SP Europe has realized what the true value of an old-tech computer is and started pricing accordingly.

could be, but with these prices in europe it seems to me that the luna isn't a bad option, whereas for my needs - even if petrel may be a sharper tool - motivating twice the price.... seems hard from what im taking from all the great and very helpful comments on here.

Yeah, my distaste for anyone buying a Galileo, ever, is largely motivated by its closeness in price to much better computers made by a company with much better customer support. If you don't need a tech computer and the Luna is half the Petrel's price with a transmitter, the Luna's not such a bad choice.

Or just wait until you're in the US/Canada on holiday :wink:

I have a Luna, it's a decent computer and does what it needs to. I bought it used so I paid around $350 with 2 transmitters, and a HR monitor (why someone would pay extra to add that feature after the fact is beyond me), if I was going to pay SPs retail I would have bought something else but for the price I paid it is serving me well. I've had several SUUNTOs, they all didn't like me diving and were prone to failure. I've also used the older Aladdin AirZ and I like the Gallileos a lot better.

Just for reference and some personal opinion.

Pros:
Large easy to read screen with a few customization options for the main screen (basically classic, advanced, gauge).
User changeable battery that can be found easily for about $10
Long Battery life (mine is still on the original battery with tons of life left)
Strap fits easily over my drysuit
Buttons are easy to use underwater even with drygloves
Menus are easy to navigate

Cons:
Minimal customization of screen (this is true for most computers)
AI loses signal intermittently and the refresh rate is slow.
The compass is useless to me, I prefer it to stay on the main screen and just wear a Suunto SK7 on my left wrist

Thank you all for the great comment and advise!

In the end I've decided to order the Luna. I think it suits me better as the added benefits of SOL such as heart rate monitor feels rather gimmicky and I don't see myself really using it, nor do I ever really contemplate to use trimix etc. As regards some of the other models recommended, I'm sure that they are great - but here in Europe they have a much higher price point and in fact came in almost double the price, so for my rec needs it didn't seem to make any sense.

Once it arrives and I get a few dives, I'll post a note for anyone who may find themselves in the same predicament in the future (and yes, I'll try to be objective and avoid the "it's great... because I have it" trap :)

Thanks and greets,
R

Ok, a promise is a promise and now I got a few dives with the Luna (and can compare with my Suunto Stinger).
The Stinger is obviously practical as it's wrist sized, but in all other terms (ie diving-wise) I must say I like the Luna better: very easy to see UW and I like the RBT indicator as well as little details such as the safety-stop countdown. I've tried the various display options and prefer the standard "medium" option as the "full" is almost too cluttered for a no-deco dive on air. Took a little while to figure out that the RBT is related to the reserve, not to zero, so you may want to adjust reserve down from 50bar... And the log is a pleasure in terms of information and simplicity (whereas e.g. the Suunto Zoop is a tricky bugger).

So, in conclusion: if you want a DC and you're a Rec Diver and don't need the wrist-sized variety, at least this diver is very happy. Judging from this thread there are obviously plenty alternatives, but having looked into quite a few of them - at least in Europe this seems (to me) to be a very good cost/utility ratio.

Best, R

Ok, a promise is a promise and now I got a few dives with the Luna (and can compare with my Suunto Stinger).
The Stinger is obviously practical as it's wrist sized, but in all other terms (ie diving-wise) I must say I like the Luna better: very easy to see UW and I like the RBT indicator as well as little details such as the safety-stop countdown. I've tried the various display options and prefer the standard "medium" option as the "full" is almost too cluttered for a no-deco dive on air. Took a little while to figure out that the RBT is related to the reserve, not to zero, so you may want to adjust reserve down from 50bar... And the log is a pleasure in terms of information and simplicity (whereas e.g. the Suunto Zoop is a tricky bugger).

So, in conclusion: if you want a DC and you're a Rec Diver and don't need the wrist-sized variety, at least this diver is very happy. Judging from this thread there are obviously plenty alternatives, but having looked into quite a few of them - at least in Europe this seems (to me) to be a very good cost/utility ratio.

Best, R
It's a good choice. I've used my Galileo for a few years now and display is not bad. The RBT of the Galileo is excellent and a useful safety feature for the recreational diver. For night diving I use the light display with the backlight turned on throughout the dive.

The RBT of the Galileo is excellent and a useful safety feature for the recreational diver.

Hi there! Question - as you're using RBT and like it, to what have you set the reserve? My approach has always been that at 50bar (1/4 tank) it's time to have cleared all eventual mandatory stop and just go for the 3min safety stop, meaning that the reserve (i.e. "out of water") is actually lower than 50 bar. So on that basis, the reserve should be less than 50 bar. What setting do you use?

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom