Dry suit for stocky build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpf1230

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I tried on a whites fusion and really liked it. The only problem was getting my shoulders through the zipper hole. The larger suit made it slightly easier but there was a lot of gathering in the dry core.

I'm 5'6" and about 200lbs. Sure, there's a little in the middle but my chest is 46" with broad shoulders. The problem with fitting is there, not the waist. Anything that fits the upper body is far too tall.

Can anyone suggest some brands that might be a better fit? I'd like something durable for wreck diving and I'm trying to stay away from a custom if I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why are you trying to stay away from a custom? I'd rather shell out the couple hundred dollars extra for a perfect fit rather than have extra material tear in a wreck and get a catastrophic suit flood. (Especially in the 45 degree waters that I dive in) However, if you're 100% against a customs suit I've heard that some of the BARE suits are on the stocky side, but you'll most likely have extra fabric that you wouldn't want in a wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whites fusion bullet.......excellent suit and great prices at Diverightinscuba.com

I am very new to White Fusion, a few dives on a rental suit only. I also have some interesting finding about the sizing. I am 5'6", 140lb, average to skinny built. The White is Sm/M. Undergarment is DUI ultra 400g thinsulate. My issue is the width of the calc area. I found that I have hard time putting my feet fully in with this undergarment. At the beginning, I thought it was the skin. So I removed the skin and try to put on the dry core only. The issue is the calc area is kind of tight. I don't think I should be using X/XL suit. I also don't want to go to a thinner undergarment. So hmm, White's claim about everything will fit into 5 size is kind of exageration. Have that said, I do like how the suit dive after I put it on.

I am probably the stockiest person out there.

169cm, and 116kgs, and I fit very well in my Whites fusion. (4xl if I am not very mistaken)

Anyway, the Fusion bunched up a bit for me as well, but the solution is just to inflate it, move around a little bit, and then release the air, and the suit will drape itself nicely.

The only issues I had was with the ankles of the suit being a bit to narrow, and the fact that the suit took forever to dry (limited edition)

And also, that it was a bit of a job to work my hands through the arms, and that the arms themselves were too thick to fit properly with decent wintertime undersuit.

I sold my Fusion, unfortunately I may add.

But I suspect my next suit may easily end up being a Fusion One, because the back-zip should make life quite a bit easier, and the lycra panels should make it dry faster..

I like the whites but the problem is getting it on and off. I could barely fit my shoulders thru the opening and needed help getting out.

Well, I have wide shoulders too, but I did not have any problems getting through the opening. However I had the 4XL.

So, your issue is probably as simple as you just trying on a suit that is too small for you.

If you are having issues with the suit bunching up, inflate the suit, move around a little bit, then deflate it, and everything should be good (except the suit may be looking a bit lumpy)

I had quite a few persons trying my suit on, including 160cm/55kgs girls, and a 2m 95kgs man. And it fit them all very well!

Im 5'10 and 200lbs, 46" chest, i dive fusion size l/xl its a little tight but not too bad, try 2xl or 3xl..
Also dive pinnacle black ice suit that i only dive in very cold water, its size xls, fits like a glove, warmest suit ive ever dove, but u need 3 tons of lead to sink it
Your size is either xls or xxls, try those sizes and u should be ok with any suit

Back
Top Bottom