Diver missing in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a night or at least twilight shark dive? Why? I would think daylight would not only be helpful to observe the sharks but also to keep an eye on our fellow divers in the group.

Not that it is all that relevant, but the Shearwater shark dives are not shark feed dives, they have "bait cages" and there is no feeding. I only mention this, as there are very few facts known at present, so we might as well at least get the ones we do know straight :)

To me it sounds like a medical issue....It would appear to be the only way a guy that was clearly a good diver, is going to lose the group and disappear on a night dive.....If some monster shark came in to the group and grabbed a diver, the others would have seen this.....

It is a terrible tragedy when ever a diver loses his life, and I am sure that there will always remain questions that can't be answered. I am curious though why they keep saying night dive? We were just finishing up from our day on Sunday, and while still the marina, we over heard the CG talking to Shearwater...we could only hear the CG's side of the conversation, but we did get 63 yr old male? It was before 8 pm, and still very much daylight here in WPB? Just curious...would make more sense if it was night, if your only in 20 ft of water, the boat is anchored and there are several people in the water...how do you lose someone? Obviously something out of the norm happened, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family, but also to the crew of the Shearwater, that is a very difficult position to be in, and the other divers onboard, not the way you'd want to spend your vacation. Interested to see how the "facts" evolve....

I've done five Shear Water trips. If one of the goals is to keep the facts straight, then we should keep the facts straight.

There is a statement above as follows "Not that it is all that relevant, but the Shearwater shark dives are not shark feed dives, they have "bait cages" and there is no feeding."

My response to that is "Really? When did that start happening?" We have always fed sharks at Tiger Beach from the Shear Water. In fact, I'm sure there is plenty of video online of sharks being openly and directly fed. There is a "special" crate that is easier to open than the other crates; that is the crate one can reach into, grab a dead fish, and feed the sharks. Also, the crates are shaken; when one shakes the crates, pieces of dead fish "leak-out" for the sharks to feed on. The sharks know this and recognize it; I'm certain they've learned the "sound" of shaking crates and get excited when the shaking starts; I've seen that in Florida. So, again, when did the Shear Water stop feeding sharks? Is that a new policy?

As many stated above, we don't know the facts yet. And, we don't know what the Bahamians consider evidence of a shark bite on equipment. I'm very curious as to whether others consider this equipment evidence of a shark bite.

A plausible scenario; but, nothing more than speculation at this point: the diver got separated from the group due to the current. Diving in Palm Beach County which has very strong currents at times, I was surprised at the strength of the currents at Tiger Beach. The diver surfaces, ditches his gear to swim back to the boat -- happens often when divers think they have been lost; in Florida, they ditch their gear to swim to land. The diver never makes it back to the boat due to the strong current or due to a medical condition.

I've done about 300 shark feeding dives, I know a shark will investigate anything that comes by; they will put it in their mouth and "taste" it; if it's not edible, they spit it out. So, sharks could have investigated gear floating on the surface or on the bottom. I have never yet seen a shark make an aggressive move towards a human, including large Tigers, Great Hammers, Bulls, Silkies, Duskies, Oceanic White Tips, and Sandbars.

Also, based on the comment by Sandy, it does not appear that this was truly a night dive, especially in 20 feet of water with plenty of white sand -- i.e., Tiger Beach. It would not have been too dark down there. Thus, everyone is curious as to how the diver could have been separated from the group without anyone noticing. I think there are still a lot of key facts that have not been released to the public yet.

Note: just came across this article that said the dive started at 4:30 pm; so, does not appear this was a night dive at all: American goes missing while shark diving | The Tribune

Note: this article lists some "facts" I have not yet heard: http://www.news-journal.com/news/lo...cle_98616e8a-647a-5b41-b599-67b70556ea95.html

Last edited:
Search ends for missing shark diver - GrindTV.com

The search for a shark diver who did not surface with his group after a night-diving excursion Sunday in the Bahamas has ended after authorities determined that John E. Petty was attacked by a shark.

U.S Coast Guard crews found only dive gear, but no body after an exhaustive search that also involved Bahamian authorities.

Petty, 63, a chiropractor from Longview, Texas, was part of a multi-day adventure with Florida-based outfitter Jim Abernethy, a famous but controversial figure among the commercial shark-diving fraternity.

Eight other passengers were part of the expedition to Tiger Beach, a renowned location where divers routinely—but during daylight hours—dive among tiger sharks lured in with bait. (Many operations have stopped using cages for protection.)

Petty, who had recently obtained his mandatory advanced open-water certification, was last seen by other divers with the expedition aboard the 65-foot vessel, Shear Water. A distress call was issued at about 8 p .m., after it was discovered that Petty was missing.
Coast Guard Petty Officer John Paul-Rios told Chron on Wednesday that the search has turned up a “substantial amount” of dive gear. Outside magazine quoted Coast Guard spokesman Mark Barney as saying the gear included a mask and camera found one mile from where the distress call was issued.

On Wednesday afternoon Petty’s son-in-law issued this statement:

“The family would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming support and prayers on behalf of John Petty. The U.S. Coast Guard has ceased its search as of 11:00 a.m., today. After the Bahamian Government studied the items recovered in numerous searches, it has been determined that a shark attack was the cause. A memorial service is being planned and details will be posted later today. Thank you all again.”

Though thousands of tourists dive with sharks at Tiger Beach without incident each year, the location has been the site of several close calls and tense moments.

The cageless shark-diving industry began at Tiger Beach, which is located 20 miles nortwest of West End on Grand Bahama Island. The destination remains a major draw for those wanting to hand-feed the larger sharks. Several filming projects, involving intimately close encounters, were conducted there, etc.

Among past incidents Jim Abernethy has been associated with include losing a client to a fatal shark attack in 2008.

In 2011, the outfitter was bitten on the arm by what was believed to be a lemon shark while diving in the Bahamas. He was airlifted to a Florida hospital for treatment.

Messages sent to Abernethy on Wednesday were not returned.

–Find Pete Thomas on Facebook and Twitter

“John was separated from the boat about 6:30 p.m. on Sunday,” Stroscheim said. “We are not really sure why. We do know that there was a current. When the crew realized he was not at the boat, they recalled the divers and initiated the search. Our protocol is 10 minutes.

Sunset is around 8 pm. Please end the night dive comments. Obviously, we need some more information. What was the dive and who was in the water with the divers? I've been on two of these trips. There is usually a staff member in the water at all times.

Separation could have been due to current or shark attack. Based on experience with both currents and sharks, Occam's Razor would lead one to separation caused by the current rather than shark attack.

Damaged gear could have occurred post ditching or post mortem. I would look at the BCD and see if it was still buckled. It's hard, but not impossible for a shark to unbuckle the BCD. At some point we will get some more information.

BTW, it's not really buddy diving there, but the staff usually watches you very closely.

Facts are just beginning to come out on this. Speculation is just that.

I'll say the only thing that makes sense to me given the current information: My condolences to the family and friends of this diver on their loss.

I know that the reporting of dive accidents and fatalities is usually bad due to diving ignorance by the reporter. A couple of the articles are just horrendous and full of errors and half truths while trying to sensationalize the "shark attack".

If his camera has been found, maybe it will reveal something? Also, total speculation, but as someone said the sharks grab cameras and such and drag them around like dog leashes.... maybe he was far enough away from the group (for photo op maybe?) and a shark came from behind him-grabbed onto his gear, he released himself from the gear in an attempt to get away and was unsuccessful...(ie attack, medical issue and then attacked...) No one knows. It would be interesting to know what he captured with his camera. Eerie and sad event to be sure.

I imagine the circumstances of this dive area and baiting raise the odds considerably, but there remains the question...if a diver dies of, oh, say, a heart attack, and drifts away, with the body not found for, eh, let's say 48 hours for sake of discussion, in that region, what are the odds one or more sharks will scavenge the body in that time frame?

I'm not making an argument for probably shark attack or not; I'd just like to know if anybody who dies on a shark feed dive in the Bahamas is apt to be scavenged if the body is not quickly recovered, and if so will these deaths be disproportionately attributed to shark attack?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom