How Much to Get Tech Cert'd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7K (gear)+ 1400 (courses and travel)= just ART and cavern/intro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just starting down the tech road (light deco in recreational ranges at the moment, occasionally accelerating it). Gear wise, I've spent about £3500. Training wise, probably about £1500 so far. In the next couple of years, I'll easily double what I've spent on training so far to do the dives I want to (45m-50m wrecks in the UK). And who knows how much on diving itself. I'll most likely end up spending at least another £1000 on kit (second twinset and a couple more stages).

Never look back at the cost, just enjoy the ride.

That's good advice.

I kind of wish I hadn't seen this thread. I didn't realize how much I've poured into diving in the past two years. Close to $15k now and I haven't even gone dpv, rebreather, or trimix yet.

That's got me AOW, Regular Nitrox, Cave1-4, and Tek45. Still have a lot of classes to do in addition to that expensive gear...

Fixed that for ya. There's a difference between a trip that's expensive and one that's particularly challenging to one's skill set in addition to one's bank account. Either one of us could apparently afford the $50-75k to have a bunch of sherpas drag our arse up Everest -- neither one of us would be in a position to brag about our expedition climbing as a result, though.

Then again, Truk is apparently about all you can handle before forgetting how to execute an ascent without bending yourself. Maybe it is a "hero" dive for you.
"Hero" is PfcAJ's term --not mine. If it's something you can do & enjoy then great --if you can't or don't want to accept the risks then don't marginalize & minimize those who can and do. . .

Don't knock it if ya never done it Holmes!

. . .And Bikini Atoll; and Sunda Strait Indonesia; and South China Sea: and east coast Sri Lanka. . . all "hero" WWII wreck dive expeditions above & beyond your means & comprehension AJ.

You trying to talk to me about dives above my "means and comprehension" gave me the chuckles.

Im having quite a fun time now. Thanks for that!

"Hero" is PfcAJ's term --not mine. If it's something you can do & enjoy then great --if you can't or don't want to accept the risks then don't marginalize & minimize those who can and do. . .

Don't knock it if ya never done it Holmes!

Your most-boasted-of diving is generally a bit shallow for me, Kev, but nobody's knocking those dives and I fully agree you've spent a lot of time on some wrecks that are well worth seeing.

So try to remember that it's not that your itineraries aren't impressive for their remoteness and underwater history/scenery...it's your attitude of there being something particularly risky, complicated, or demanding about such dives. Simply being a well-traveled tourist doesn’t make you an impressive technical diver to people who routinely dive deeper and stay down longer.

my tech 2 class alone set me back about 4 grand

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2014 at 10:48 AM ----------

After tallying up all your tech gear, you end up with 2 distinct figures.

1. First figure reflects the actual cost. $$$$$$

2. Second Figure is the amount you tell your Wife or Girlfriend. $$$
you forgot 3. the inflated figure you post on scubaboard $$$$$$$$$$

Last year's Bikini Atoll Liveaboard (M/V Windward) open circuit gas costs for 17 dives over eight days including crew gratuity: $3.8k. (Helium $5.66/cuft, Oxygen $1.70/cuft). Excess baggage total fees charged by United Airlines (each way -each flight leg!): $1.2k. My X-scooter itself cost $400 as check-in luggage

icosm14.gif

Jesus dude. How many threads am I going to see how much money you spent on your "expedition". I don't know anything of you other than lots of money spent on one of your South Pacific expeditions, cause that's half of your posts it seems.

Just take a picture of your cock with a ruler next to and post it in it's own little thread. Then you won't have to post in every thread about how much you spent on an expedition.

Tech diving: If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2014 at 10:24 AM ----------

Your most-boasted-of diving is generally a bit shallow for me, Kev, but nobody's knocking those dives and I fully agree you've spent a lot of time on some wrecks that are well worth seeing.

So try to remember that it's not that your itineraries aren't impressive for their remoteness and underwater history/scenery...it's your attitude of there being something particularly risky, complicated, or demanding about such dives. Simply being a well-traveled tourist doesn’t make you an impressive technical diver to people who routinely dive deeper and stay down longer.

Hear! Hear! Moderately deep and uncomplicated dives at a reasonable price. Tech diving gets really expensive when the wife starts doing it, too (and finding camera parts for the already ridiculous rig that are good past 100m is both frustratingly pricey and unavailable).

Upon reading this entire thread I have decided NOT to do any calculations whatsoever on how much i've spent on Tech. If money, time, and health permit... I will continue to dive my ass off and not look back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom