Flex or non-flex snorkel for surface and up to 15-feet-deep snorkelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I think I was ill-advised today by a sluggish salesgirl who had no opinion on whether to buy a flex or non-flex snorkel for snorkelling.

My current snorkel is a very old, non-flex, stiff-barreled U.S. Divers Impulse. (Did Aqua Lung take over U.S. Divers?) I found that the non-flex stiff barrel does not wobble against my head, unlike the flex and 100%-silicone-barreled models that were available at that time, many years ago.

So today I purchased the flex Aqua Lung Impulse 3 but I am not convinced it is the best for surface and up to 15 feet depth snorkelling. I suspect that the barrel or the flex part will wobble against my head. It also comes in a non-flex model that the store did not have. I know the store will do exchanges and might (haven't asked yet) be willing to order the non-flex model for me.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

For almost 40 years I've preferred basic "J" non-flex snorkels. I recently tried the Riffe Stable Snorkel and really like it... it is the snorkel I am wearing in my avatar picture.

IMG_4820_zpsd0d2281c.jpg
IMG_4822_zpsf3393d20.jpg

I do think it is very much a matter of personal preference. The flexible part does wobble a tiny bit, but the advantage is that the flexible section makes it more comfortable in the mouth, and also makes it easier to move out of the way when used during scuba.

Best wishes.

For free diving do not buy anything but a simple J tube snorkel. No valves or any of that. Look at the Omer Zoom snorkels.

US Divers is long gone and was always related to AL.

N

My understanding is that flex snorkels were designed more for scuba than snorkeling - the idea being it allows the mouthpiece to drop away when not using it so its less in the way of your reg. At least that's what they told us in OW class 25 years ago, FWIW.

Probably one of those things that works for some people and you have to figure it out for yourself. I've used a few and personally I think they do nothing well. I find the flex feature tends to exert a small but constant pull away from my mouth which is tiring when snorkeling for a long time. For the occasional surface swim when diving it might be ok, but for that I'd rather stash a snorkel someplace else rather than wear it all the time. If I did want to wear a snorkel on my mask all the time, the flex ones seem more wobbly/dangly/heavy and actually more of a nuisance on a mask than a non-flex type.

Well, it is a snorkel, and as long as it does the main purpose, namely enabling you to breathe with your face underwater it is more than good enough.

For freediving and snorkeling, I may or may not use a snorkel. (Depending on divesite) More often than not, I have just left the snorkel at home. At the moment I don´t even have a clue where my snorkel is.

I haven´t worn a snorkel on the mask when scubadiving since 2003. It is a piece of equipment that is more likely to get you into trouble than actually save your life.

I think a simple J-tube is the easiest to clear. I use the snorkel a lot playing UW rugby.

The drop away flex snorkels are less stable than a fixed snorkel that fits right, because there is only one attachment point on the mask and nothing to prevent the wobble.

If you are getting a snorkel with the bulky top of the tube like the Impluse you will likely find it much more stable in the mouth if you get the fixed version (and that fixed version fits you right, and the mouthpiece fits your mouth, etc. etc. ).

I like dry and purge snorkels just fine, and much prefer them to simple J snorkels, but only when they are fixed not flex. Although that Riffe snorkel listed looks like the flex is done right, because it is flexy to allow mouth fit, rather than flex to 'drop out of the way'.

But the flex snorkel does not usually drop out of the way, it drops into the way.

The flex snorkel for divers was a marketing idea that somehow took hold that said divers would rather have the snorkel mouthpiece drop away from the mouth. But in fact in open water class, that dangly flexy bit just becomes something the OW students get mixed up with inflator hose, and the dangly flexy bit just becomes more tangly than the fixed snorkel would be.

California Kelp Diver.

I use the AL Impulse 3 flex for freediving. It is humongous! Large bore for unrestricted fresh air breathing. It is a very dry breathing and easy to clear snorkel. Good for our our ocean conditions. I rarely get saltwater in my mouth even with water washing overhead. It will oscillate when swimming/surfacing if kept in mouth. I spit the snorkel out when submerging. I like the flex when I spit it out it is out of my way. I also have the rigid tube AL Impulse 3 which is good when working out in the ocean. I am neutral at 30' and work 30'-40'. I am a clencher, so when breathing up the comfo-bite mouthpiece keeps my jaw from getting fatigued. Mine is yellow, so hopefully people can see me better. It is whatever works best for you. You may like the large bore rigid red AL Impulse 3 that my "Buddy" avatar is wearing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom