Advise needed: Galileo SOL vs LUNA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoufr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings,

I know there are some posts covering the subject (apologies...!) but they seem rather old so here goes.

My Suunto Stinger has been troublesome so I'm looking to get a new DC, and choice stands between GALILEO LUNA or SOL.

The only difference I seem to have found is that SOL comes with 1) heart-rate monitor, and 2) Trimix upgrade? Neither is something that I feel I need (definetly not Trimix as I'm just a leisure diver) so... Is it correct that those are the only differences or am I missing something??

Very grateful for some advise / confirmation on the above (and of course always happy with general recommendations)!

thank you,
R

What other models have you looked at? For purely recreational diving there is absolutely no need to spend that much money on a computer. There are better choices that will do everything you need to do. Why specifically have you chosen these two models?

What other models have you looked at? For purely recreational diving there is absolutely no need to spend that much money on a computer. There are better choices that will do everything you need to do. Why specifically have you chosen these two models?

Hi Jim!

You of course didn't actually answer MY question before asking your own :) - but, it's a fair challenge and one should never decline a chance to pick the brain of smart people so here's my thinking:

1. I have the Suunto stinger and it works, even if it's a little temperamentful at the moment so... time to get something new, but the Suunto will function as backup.
2. Wristwatch style is practical (and I have the Suunto) so the equivalent Suunto would be the D4 and D6 - which actually cost more than the Galileo!
3. So if I have access to a ww-style, then why not get something dedicated which will be easier to read and have some more info (I'm not technical, but I'm a geek).
4. I can certainly get the VYPER etc, but as I have a little to spend - in the bracket cost of the Galileo, it seems to be quite a LOT for the money comparatively.
5. So SOL or LUNA? Well, I don't see myself ever diving trimix and the heart-rate monitor seems of little more value than a gimmick for my leisurely diving...
6. = I'm likely opting for the LUNA.

.... but advise, challenges and generous advise are definitely welcome :)

How about that?

R

I dive a sol, never used hr monitor nor i will ever use it for trimix(got predator for that), i bought sol because i got a deal that was cheaper than luna and it was brand new, i like it alot, its not conservative, has large numbers and does what it needs to do, i would buy luna if i were you, since its the same computer except hrm and trimix

If you're going to drop that kind of money and you want a dedicated computer rather than a WW style, look at a computer with a modern screen like a Shearwater with the recreational firmware or a Liquivision. While neither a Luna nor a Sol are bad computers, they're junk relative to other DCs in/around the same price point.

Look at a computer with a modern screen like a Shearwater with the recreational firmware or a Liquivision. While neither a Luna nor a Sol are bad computers, they're junk relative to other DCs in/around the same price point.

Thank you Lecter, you have some more advise on what DCs to have a look at? I thought that liquivision was a LOT more expensive?

I am with Dr. Lector here. If I were to spend that much on a dive computer, it will definitely be something like Pretrel.

What feature of Luna or Sol is attracting you? is it AI? HR monitor? big screen?

Well, I think that the prices may have gone down though... the pretrel is €650, whereas the Luna can now be bought for €530 with AI. Just to make sure I'm not comparing apples and pears here.

I've dived since the start with a ww-style DC (suunto) which was important as I mostly dived when travelling. Now, I dive every week(end) so size is less or an issue, hence bigger screen with more info (which I will now actually understand what it means :) ) I suppose is really the attraction.

Could I fulfil my basic needs with a Vyper or a Zoop? In all honesty, yes. But the compass, additionally available information etc - sure, I'm welcoming it cause I like to understand the technical side. But sure, it's more of an indulgence than a need.

I'd personally get a Petrel given its excellent battery options, great full-color screen that's sharper than the OLED screens I've owned (Predator and Cobalt), simple layout, and Shearwater's support reputation...about $850 new. Then again, I don't care about AI.

A Liquivision Koan is only about $800 new, and as much as I'm not a Liquivision fan, it is still going to be a much better option than the Luna in terms of performance and screen quality. Make sure you can stand the tap interface before going that route, though. Liquivision's new AI/beacon-finding Lynx is absurdly expensive at $1,200+ for the computer alone and $1,700+ for the computer + giant Buick of a transmitter.

Are you sure the Luna priced lower than a Petrel includes a Luna transmitter? That's not what I've seen, but it evens the odds a bit if true and money is an issue.

Yes, it includes the transmitter at €533 to be precise. It's now down from €730.

---------- Post added July 14th, 2014 at 06:35 PM ----------

the petrel, standalone, for comparison here in Europe is €1042...

Back
Top Bottom