Is there a way to make a wetsuit less buoyant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyancy is directly related to insulation.
Less buoyant means less insulation.
Less insulation means less buoyant.
If insulation is not an issue, use a thinner wetsuit or, as mentioned a wetsuit without legs and arms.

Wetsuit heater.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attach the wetsuit to maybe 10kgs of weights, and a 100m long rope with a buoy in the end.

Throw it into the sea where the depth is 80m+, wait an hour or so, then pull it back up.

Then your suit will have a lot less buoyancy.

Stuff it into a crab trap and sink it down to 200' - 300' and leave it there overnight.
Pull it up the next day and I guarantee it will be paper thin evenly.
The cheap Chinese neoprene they use for suits these days can get ruined by a few good deep dives.

IF you are looking for less buoyancy I would suggest doing what I did. Most divers up here dive 7mm or more. I hate carrying enough lead (≈26#) to get neutral and that much neoprene is very inflexable. Instead I wear a 3mm with layers of neutrally buoyant full suits under the 3mm to get the warmth. By doing that and using steel tanks I only need 12# of lead. Some neutrally buoyant suits are LavaCore and Henderson Polyolefin.

You could iron it. :D

Attach the wetsuit to maybe 10kgs of weights, and a 100m long rope with a buoy in the end.

Throw it into the sea where the depth is 80m+, wait an hour or so, then pull it back up.

Then your suit will have a lot less buoyancy.

You guys are really thinking this through!--good answers.

Back
Top Bottom