Regulator free flow at 100 feet.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One site-specific recommendation. From where you experienced your problem, if you wanted a visual or tactical reference for your safety stop you could have made a short swim directly East to the rock wall and made your safety stop there rather than trying to find a platform descent line. Knowing your compass orientation at the dive site can often be very helpful.

theskull

For those who are interested.

Here is a little test conducted by Curt Bowen of Advanced Diver Magazine at Eagle's Nest cave on Feb 12th for a small article to be placed in issue 17 of Advanced Diver Magazine.

The question He wanted to answer was:

How much time would it take to empty a full aluminum 80 cuft cylinder from 3000 psi to 0 for the following situations and would depth affect the times.

1. Failed Burst Disk
2. Failed HP Hose
3. Failed LP Hose
4. Free Flow high performance regulator 2nd stage.

He completed the test on the surface (0 feet) with 4 aluminum 80’s and a Zeagle D50 regulator.

Here are the results

1. Failed Burst Disk = 72 seconds
2. Failed HP Hose = 22 minutes
3. Failed LP Hose = 83 seconds
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 255 seconds

He then repeated the test at 4 atm’s / 99ft (30m)

1. Failed Burst Disk = Same within a second or 2
2. Failed HP Hose = Same within a minute
3. Failed LP Hose = Same within a second or 2
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 155 seconds

He then repeated the test at 8 atm’s / 231ft (70m) (Thanks)

1. Failed Burst Disk = Same within a second or 2
2. Failed HP Hose = did not complete due to time restraints but would assume it would be with a minute difference
3. Failed LP Hose = Same within a second or 2
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 91 seconds

The results show the small amounts of time a diver would have to solve a major equipment failure while at deeper depths

Bob
----------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Would a first stage freeflow be similar in duration to a failed LP hose? or does the second stage add some restriction? increasing the time?

As I understand it, in the list above #4 is the second stage freeflow (pressing the purge button)

The second stage is restricted where the regulation takes place, as compared to an open LP hose. My second stage would give me more time before the tank empties, as it cannot provide as much flow as a high performance reg.

In any event, when it hits the fan, you need a buddy, pony, or an expeditious retreat to the surface.

Bob
------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I think that this scenario suggests that for anyone living anywhere but the tropics, it is worth paying the extra for cold water regs. (OP is from Illinois)

Cold water regs work fine in warm water.

Warm water regs don't work fine in cold water.

Even if most of your diving is in warm water, cold water regs keep the door open for diving close to home, diving deep, diving outside of summer, diving at a cooler novelty site like Bonne Terre, etcetera.

I bought Sherwood Blizzards right after OW certification and have been happy with the choice. Good in Australia, good in Tobermory.

I only have 48 dives logged so take it for what it's worth. Dive a Pony bottle. Bottomline ! this would have resolved the problem. I dive on every time. Every dive. I do not understnad why everyone does not. Its expesive, it's more stuff to carry around, i have heard all the reasons and excuses and still they make no sense. I dive one and I a know that I can make it to the top in case of a malfunciton. Still practice safe buddy diving but i just dont understnad people's reluctance to embrace the pony bottle concept

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom