DIN-Yoke Adapters, reasons to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried to avoid the DIN as I am mostly a warm water diver. I did buy the Aqua Lung Legend LX supreme for myself and wanted to for my wife in the twilight series. For her, it only comes in a DIN, and rather than get the yolk adapter, I got her the twilight LX and skipped the DIN as she has yet to dive in anything below 45 degrees and I am trying to avoid confusion for her with a DIN. Sorry if this is off topic.

I don't use an add-in adapter for two reasons. One, I don't own one. (It was just about the same cost to get the DIN inlet parts.). Two, I don't want the first stage to be any closer to the back of my head, as it would be if I used an adapter.

I suspected it might be the latter reason. That was my own experience the couple of times I have tried the adapter.

I suspected it might be the latter reason. That was my own experience the couple of times I have tried the adapter.

Same here. My first reg is DIN and at that time I didn't own any tanks. I used adaptor on rental tank. I hated how the adaptor pushed the first stage closer to my head. I got rid of the DIN reg and get yoke.

I used to regularly dive with my tank valve reversed from standard position. My hoses were long enough that it didn't matter. You will get a lot of advice that your tank is backwards

With the HOG D3 and the type of adapter we use and the type of BCD we use, we never had a problem. YMMV.

I think the head bump issue has less to do with the regulator and adaptor choice, and more to do with the BCD choice, tank position, and diver's physique.

I guess you're no better off than when you asked the question. I can share my experience if it can help.

I own many regs and they are all DIN. I often dive with double tanks in Mexico, in the caves, and I switch to singles when diving in open water on the same trip.

Never had any problems with fit or size, no leaks unless the tank valve o-ring was defective. If it hits the back of your head I think your tank is too high on the BC.

One thing: don't buy the Dive Rite adapter. It doesn't fit all yoke tank valves, I use the Scubapro, a charm.

BTW: a yolk is what you find at the center of an egg.

Totally agree with yolk/egg statement ;-)

Regarding hitting back of head... With a two strap system like DSS and halcyon, sometimes the straps are as high as one can get them, and even with a loose harness, the valve can end up in an uncomfortable position. I'm not especially short - a little over 5'4" - but I am very short waisted. There is a bit of trial and error involved but I ended up with a STA and dedicated yoke regs for rec dives ( which I haven't used in like three years so I don't know that I would recommend my approach lol)

I guess you're no better off than when you asked the question. I can share my experience if it can help.

I own many regs and they are all DIN. I often dive with double tanks in Mexico, in the caves, and I switch to singles when diving in open water on the same trip.

Never had any problems with fit or size, no leaks unless the tank valve o-ring was defective. If it hits the back of your head I think your tank is too high on the BC.

One thing: don't buy the Dive Rite adapter. It doesn't fit all yoke tank valves, I use the Scubapro, a charm.

BTW: a yolk is what you find at the center of an egg.

If I am going to be in an area for more than 7 days where I know DIN tanks will be scarce or non-existent, I will switch my DIN over to yoke for that time frame. Then I switch back when I get home. Otherwise, I use the adapter.

No issues whatsoever.

For deco tank valves that are fixed yoke, because of DIN-to-yoke adapters to convert DIN only 1st stage deco regs, found out the hard way that you had to visually identify that you were turning open the correct deco bottle valve knob instead of mistakenly unscrewing the adapter! :shocked2::shocked2:(Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes Short History & Dive Report)

From now on, if I know the dive-ops do not have DIN cylinder valves -I will bring along a set for travel. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom