Traveling with underwater camera to international destination packing tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Broct

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just read this article The Packing Guide for Underwater Photographers|Underwater Photography Guide and was wondering what other underwater photographers do. I will be traveling from the US to Bali later this year for the first time. Currently I use a Porter hard case, and this works great traveling to the Caribbean. When reading about airlines weighing this bag/ case that has me worried. I use a Olympus E-M1 with a Nauticam housing, 2 ports, 2 strobes, 2 SOLA lights, and arms. Looking forward to your feedback!

Be prepared to have your bag gate checked on small planes in remote locations. Planning on always being able to carryon might result in damaged equipment if your game plan is always to carry on and be able to manage the handling.

I still use Pelican cases. They are heavier but I am going for more protection. I have not yet had any issues with intl flights but I haven't taken it on puddle jumper flights which I know have more weight restricitions on checked and carry on. If I have to check it I would rather have it in a sturdy case. I am currently thinking of downsizing the case and putting in strobe arms and other durable hardware in checked bags. (Olympus EM-5 w/ Nauticam housing and one port, singe lens, dual strobes, and all paraphenalia).

Pelican too, always and forever. Luckily I'm not carrying around a national geographic photographers kit, so it all fits in a single pelican case and it's just one less thing to have to worry about.

I currently use a Porter case Porter Case - /main/product_info.php?products_id=73 and when loaded is around 44 lbs/ 20 kg. This goes over the weight limits for cabin carry-on. I have never had an issue traveling to the Caribbean with this case, but hearing the comments in the article made me think. I have checked this case before, and never had any issues. Thanks for the comments. Keep em coming!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom