Diving in Greece bad experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MedOcto, why don't you include some more information about this sad situation: when, where etc? I've been diving in Greece for a few years on a very regular basis, and our experience has been only very positive: excellent dive centre, absolutely top notch equipment and focus on security, and as far as I am aware no problem what so ever with the authorities. My point being: I'm not saying you had a bad experience, but quite sad to see how one post without much detail is immediately followed-up by others with generalisations and assumptions which, IMHO, reflect the actual situation for divers in Greece very poorly.

Happy to share more info with anyone - just drop a message.

One incident does not make all the country bad. I have been diving almost 20 years now. I am Turkish and I have never seen Turkish coast guard around me. The rules are as same as Greece because of the Ottoman Shipwrecks and other antic goods so of course the government wants to keep them.

I worked in Greece for a few years. The corruption there is a big issue, more so for companies that try to be legit because they don't massage the egos and wallets of the coastguard and local police. The smaller the island the worse it is generally.
Coastguard interference doesn't really have any bearing on how good or bad the actual operator is.

Other rules (not sure if that still exists) like several thousand euro fines for PHOTOGRAPHING underwater amphora and so on caused big headaches too.

Firstly, thanks for coming here and, without even introducing yourself first, trying to smear an entire country in your VERY FIRST post.
I can see that you haven't even bothered to provide any details about your diving in your personal profile either.

Now you have witnessed "young muscolar aggressive individual dressed in black even in the small villages near the sea"....
So, not in just ONE village... But in VILLAGES.

Just curious...
You haven't seen any flying saucers???
Or any flying Greek Coastal Guard patrol boats (painted black!!!) flying around in a aggressive manner, kidnapping foreign divers, who were never seen again?

Tstststs....

Well said!

The law is one thing. The local "laws" as enforced by an inherently corrupt police and coastguard can sometimes differ substantially.

The law is one thing. The local "laws" as enforced by an inherently corrupt police and coastguard can sometimes differ substantially.

True. But being half-Greek, speaking the language and having family there, I know just to make jokes and light of the situation. No need to escalate the situation. But that applies to most places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom