Lionfish venom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telecaster71

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
can a lionfish inject another lionfish in a catch bag and make the meat inedible ....or if you put a lobster or lobsters in the same bag with them could the tail get ruined...thank you

Lionfish venom detoxifies in about an hour.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

I have over 2000 Lionfish kills and have been hit 3 X's...My first hit was the worse...I was tryin' to brain a big one for the stringer, no containment unit. as I came down with my knife two spines in the middle finger of right hand..no pieces of spine left in my finger only venom....was in baaaaaad pain for 2 days and still felt tender after a week

Since the venom breaks down in heat, I would imagine if it were injected in the meat, it would be destroyed during the cooking process? I have no idea, just guessing.

here's a question to go along with it --- Can you use a dry bag to put your lionfish in after you spear them without them poking thru the bag? I've got a small clear one that i think would work if it's safe enough.

here's a question to go along with it --- Can you use a dry bag to put your lionfish in after you spear them without them poking thru the bag? I've got a small clear one that i think would work if it's safe enough.

It will for sure work if you cut off the spines.

I tried a dry bag once. Too heavy and too much drag. I didn't like it. My favorite method is to carefully snip the spines after spearing. This isn't quick enough during a tournament, however.

Take a lobster hotel and some heavy duty vinyl. Wrap the lobster hotel in the vinyl so that it extends a few inches passed the end of the mesh lobster bag. Use a big metal cinch to secure it around the pvc part of the lobster hotel. Great if you are getting lots of lions, otherwise trim with trauma shears and stringer.

The venom is not heat stable so, cooking the meat will take care of any venom issues. I believe the venom has to be directly injected into the blood stream anyway. Eating it wouldn't do anything. I know some of the recipes use the spines as tooth-picks (cooked spines though).

As for dry bag, the spines will poke right through. Both times I have been stung was after the fish was in the bag. Zookeepers are what you want. You can make your own version of it, but when I priced out the parts it wasn't much more to just buy the things.

-Chris

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom